2024 4th season Colorado elk hunt w/ my old man. Tactics.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Not looking for honey holes or anything . Not even units . My pops and myself are looking to draw a 4th rifle season tag in Colorado next year (I know it’s early). I am a non res and he is a resident. He is going to be 61 next year so I’m a little concerned about hiking him to death. My question is, seeing as I’ve never hunted 4th season, does anyone have any tips for helping an old guy be successful on this hunt. I understand the weather concern and will have tire chains and the like. Just wanting to know anyone’s experiences with this season. Looking at 7k-12k elevations. Thanks in advance.

Finn16

WKR
I know there are varying degrees of health and fitness as we age but 61 isn't really that old. You didn't mention any health issues so I'm assuming he doesn't have anything serious going on. There are lots of guys still hunting solo and packing out elk on their own at that age. Being he lives in Colorado he is used to being at elevation, even though most likely lower than 7000. I'd have him get a physical just to be safe and then train for the hunt - he may surprise you.

Jaquomo

WKR
Don't short-change your pop. I'm 69 with a metal hip, asthma, Pulmonary Hypertension, and I bowhunt solo in multiple states for pretty much the whole month of September. My friend is 82 and still does solo backpack elk bowhunts, killed another nice one this year.

Just let him decide the pace, and go for it. I wish I had had just one elk hunt with my dad before he passed. Enjoy the journey and let us know ow how it goes!

MJB

WKR
Drive and glass don't get off the road to far until you find elk, see, smell or hear them. Fresh tracks can send you on a wild goose chase so choose wisely.
Glass, glass and drive then glass some more.
Always check the water holes for sign. Elk suck up lots of water.

Remember when elk are walking you need to be running and when they are running you need to be driving!

Good luck!

amassi

WKR
Find a motel or air bnb
I’ve done 4th season out of a pack, canvas tent and rented cabin. I’ll take the cabin 100% of the time.
4th season only has like 9 hours of daylight.
Also the units I’ve hunted in 4th the elk are down, way way down. Playin peek a boo with private and public property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
Yep, now that 4th season is so late, many of rhe elk will be on winter range, or heading there. Check out the CPW interactive maps with the winter migration route overlay. Hunt them.

Maverick1

WKR
“Not looking for honey holes or anything”

Starting a thread with this as the opening sentence should result in a ban.

Anyhow, good luck with your research. Hope you and your father have a great hunt when you get there!

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted 4th multiple times with great luck. Depending on which unit you choose the elk will most likely be pretty low like everyone else has stated. So I wouldn’t even be looking at spots around the 12k level. More like the 5-8k level.
Where I live come 4th rifle we either have tons of snow or all the water sources are completely frozen that time of year. So find elk winter range.
Good luck on your endeavors!

il_cop

FNG
4th rifle is a great time to be out. I've taken my dad out (non-res in his 70s) 3 times before 4th fell on Thanksgiving, and he did great. Agree with previous posts, glass big from easy access until you find the elk. Between the short season and potential storms, you won't have many chances to move once you commit to a zone. That said, depending on the unit, you may have opportunities within half a mile of a county road...

Zig4648

FNG
I agree with others elk won’t be that high, they will be low in wintering grounds where food is easier to access. Small hikes off road to glass areas are effective