2023 preparations

cck311

FNG
Bare shaft and fletched arrow at about 25 yards. .400 spine gold tip blems, 30 inches long with a 50 grain gold tip fact weight insert and a 125 grain point. 475 grain total arrow weight out of a 46 pound at 26.5 inches draw Martin Hunter. In a little less than 3 months I will be hunting Utah elk and muleys!

Attachments

• 0604230947_HDR.jpg
    0604230947_HDR.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 45
That sounds pretty stiff based on my experience. 650gr 30.25" arrows with 250 up front were just slightly stiff for me out of my recurve ([email protected]"). That said if they're flying well for you no need to second guess.

OP
C

cck311

FNG
That sounds pretty stiff based on my experience. 650gr 30.25" arrows with 250 up front were just slightly stiff for me out of my recurve ([email protected]"). That said if they're flying well for you no need to second guess.
Out of other bows I have at around the same poundage it would be, but the Martin Hunter is cut past center which makes a difference. I would have to go to .600 spine to shoot a similar arrow in my 45# ben pearson bushmaster.

Last edited:

Aklongbow

FNG
Nice !!!
. Every year I struggle with which bow I will hunt with ....... So this year for moose season I have settled with my 64" 60#@28 Selfbow . I will most likely be shooting my Bamboo arrows which weigh in at 647gr and single bevel broadheads or I ma20230709_124929.jpgy go with my Douglas Fir 753gr arrows with 300gr meatheads .....
Most likely the bamboo, just cause I like bamboo ha!ha

Beendare

WKR
Thats a beauty Ak- nice work.

I’ve been having some bad luck as I cracked my chosen limb early….and then the riser I liked for this year cracked..along with the replacement. Junked them and got reimbursed by Alt Services.

Then my expensive riser I was using as a backup had a chunk snap off. Sheesh. I should have bought a BW years ago and been done.

I will probably use my tried and true Dryad riser with the Nika or Selengha limbs- at least until my one riser comes back from repair….. currently tuning both

Rheron

FNG
I drew the UT mule deer buck general season ALW tag. This year the Ogden unit falls into antler less elk control. So I’m sitting on two elk tags and a buck tag this season. Love this state.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Almost same arrow set up as me- glad im not the only one with good results when it "looks" like it would be too stiff.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a very similar arrow setup. Shooting 46lbs and shooting a 400 spine Black Eagle Rampage. Cut them to 29.5”, 75gr hit insert with 175gr heads. Experimenting with FlexFletch vanes and so far I really like them. More durable and easier to fletch than Trad Vanes (don’t beat my ass Aron haha)
95DCF644-5342-4C90-8A59-5BE56D1E53BA.jpeg
ETA: also a 26.5” draw length.

Beendare

WKR
I have a very similar arrow setup. Shooting 46lbs and shooting a 400 spine Black Eagle Rampage. Cut them to 29.5”, 75gr hit insert with 175gr heads. Experimenting with FlexFletch vanes and so far I really like them. More durable and easier to fletch than Trad Vanes (don’t beat my ass Aron haha)
View attachment 579656
ETA: also a 26.5” draw length.
Are you shooting off the shelf With those vanes?

The AAE trad vanes claim you can…and they have some new ones coming out.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I have had success shooting trad vanes off the shelf, they just get chewed up quick! However, I am shooting the flex fletch’s off of a springy rest.

bisblue

WKR
Still doing some final tweaking but shooting a reflex deflex takedown my buddy made me, #49@30". Shooting a 400 spine 32.75" instinct with ethics inserts that equals 260 up front for a 600 grain arrow. If I can tune them well and drop a little point weight I will.
Doesn't fly super fast but i really like the 32 yard point on for elk season.
Compress_20230604_122353_3513.jpgCompress_20230604_122353_3824.jpg

Jlingle

FNG
Nice !!!
. Every year I struggle with which bow I will hunt with ....... So this year for moose season I have settled with my 64" 60#@28 Selfbow . I will most likely be shooting my Bamboo arrows which weigh in at 647gr and single bevel broadheads or I maView attachment 575766y go with my Douglas Fir 753gr arrows with 300gr meatheads .....
That is one nice rig!!

Beendare

WKR
Still doing some final tweaking but shooting a reflex deflex takedown my buddy made me, #49@30". Shooting a 400 spine 32.75" instinct with ethics inserts that equals 260 up front for a 600 grain arrow. If I can tune them well and drop a little point weight I will.
Doesn't fly super fast but i really like the 32 yard point on for elk season.
View attachment 580375
Purdy bow.

I used to shoot a heavy arrow for a shorter PO...but after shooting the 435g arrow I shoot now, it increased my PO but made me more accurate at all distances due to the much flatter trajectory. 40y PO...and my gaps are halved at 20- a big deal- which makes me way more consistently accurate, Works for me.

bisblue

WKR
Purdy bow.

I used to shoot a heavy arrow for a shorter PO...but after shooting the 435g arrow I shoot now, it increased my PO but made me more accurate at all distances due to the much flatter trajectory. 40y PO...and my gaps are halved at 20- a big deal- which makes me way more consistently accurate, Works for me.
Nice, I feel my most limiting factor is finding long arrows and then having to fiddle with tip weight to get them to tune well.

LostArra

WKR
Nice !!!
. Every year I struggle with which bow I will hunt with ....... So this year for moose season I have settled with my 64" 60#@28 Selfbow . I will most likely be shooting my Bamboo arrows which weigh in at 647gr and single bevel broadheads or I maView attachment 575766y go with my Douglas Fir 753gr arrows with 300gr meatheads .....
Nice bow setup! and a "good dog"!
Did you import that osage to Alaska? I'm assuming that's osage.

I can transport staves for a moose hunt. :cool:

Beendare

WKR
Nice, I feel my most limiting factor is finding long arrows and then having to fiddle with tip weight to get them to tune well.
Yeah, same here with a 30 3/4” DL. I shoot a 31 3/8” arrow. The Easton trad shafts come pretty long- I think 33” but they are getting pricey.

I’ve been using the Accmos 6.2mm (std diameter) these come long 33”, at .003” straight for under $40. They have a much better finish than the latest Easton shafts.

Accmos ( and Linkboy) have a bunch of different GPI shafts, I like a minimum of 9 gpi shaft. The 8gpi and under shafts like the Maximas I’ve used over the many decades have proven to break easy.

I used to use more arrow weight to shorten PO like I said…but the better trajectory has made all the difference- much better accuracy. My gap used to be almost 1” at 20y….now its 1/2”. Having the tip of the arrow closer to the spot- no matter what aiming system you use- makes anyone more accurate.

As long as we use a super efficient BH that penetrates effortlessly…we don’t need massive arrow weight.

Last edited:

bisblue

WKR
Yeah, same here with a 30 3/4” DL. I shoot a 31 3/8” arrow. The Easton trad shafts come pretty long- I think 33” but they are getting pricey.

I’ve been using the Accmos 6.2mm (std diameter) these come long 33”, at .003” straight for under $40. They have a much better finish than the latest Easton shafts.

Accmos ( and Linkboy) have a bunch of different GPI shafts, I like a minimum of 9 gpi shaft. The 8gpi and under shafts like the Maximas I’ve used over the many decades have proven to break easy.

I used to use more arrow weight to shorten PO like I said…but the better trajectory has made all the difference- much better accuracy. My gap used to be almost 1” at 20y….now its 1/2”. Having the tip of the arrow closer to the spot- no matter what aiming system you use- makes anyone more accurate.

As long as we use a super efficient BH that penetrates effortlessly…we don’t need massive arrow weight.
I think it's be too scared of an Alibaba arrow after chasing elk for teeth weeks to get one shot. I got a 544 grain instinct arrow flying really well. I know Gold tip blemishes can be had for pretty cheap too