2023 NR OTC Elk Rifle Tags?

toughluck

FNG
So...trying to plan an elk hunt with my uncle for 2023. I cannot get him to commit to archery so it looks like a rifle tag is needed. I've never been out west, he has been to Montana once but that was 20 years ago. What are our best options for a tag and somewhat of a chance at a decent elk? We plan on doing a spike camp wherever we go and will also pick up a mule deer tag.

OP
toughluck

toughluck

FNG
I would highly suggest looking for a landowner tag, OTC hunts for elk are ridiculous with the amount of folks in the woods.

Would we not be able to get away from other hunters? I hunt public land in TN that gets heavily pressured but I can always find pockets where other hunters do not go.

h2so4

WKR
Would we not be able to get away from other hunters? I hunt public land in TN that gets heavily pressured but I can always find pockets where other hunters do not go.
How old is your uncle? But really the answer is no, likely won't be able to get away. Especially with lack of knowledge of an area.

OP
toughluck

toughluck

FNG
How old is your uncle? But really the answer is no, likely won't be able to get away. Especially with lack of knowledge of an area.
He is 55, in good health and physical condition. Realistically, we expect to have to go to a unit with rough terrain to get away from the average hunter.

OP
toughluck

toughluck

FNG
Colorado must be over ran with with Res and NR hunters from the comments lol.

Can't speak to every unit, but sometimes the issue with pressured public land elk isn't only with being able to get away from hunters, it's also with the fact that the game moves onto private land after being chased around a bit. I've hiked far and through rough country to get away from hunters, only to find that there isn't any fresh sign of game, while you could glass herds all over on private ground on the way to the trail heads.

In the east, with whitetails, they generally don't move entirely out of an area due to pressure, and outside of big snow country in the upper great lakes, they're not generally migratory. White tails also seem to put up with some hunan interference. They change their habits and go nocturnal, but they don't seem as offended as elk are by human presence.

It's still possible to kill an elk on public ground with an OTC tag. Along with other areas of CO, I hunted the Flat Tops several times. While it was/is completely chocked full of hunters, we still had opportunities. With all the hunters, elk got moved around, so there was always a chance something could happen as long as you were out there. Just know what you're in for and adjust your expectations accordingly. I would get a cow tag and not pass on any legal bulls if you care to have success. Don't get discouraged by other hunters and stay at it. The country is pretty and it's still great to be out there.

I know several people who pay for drop camp hunts, abd they seem to be happy with the arrangement. Might be something to look into to help get away from at least a few folks.

OP
toughluck

toughluck

FNG
Initially Colorado wasn't on my radar and after comments here it's more than likely out of the picture. Thinking Utah or Idaho but open to other states.

Last edited:

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a lot of research to do if you think you are going to any state with zero points zero boots on the ground and have high expectations of harvesting an elk otc. The reality is otc non res tags are becoming an ish in alot of states. Idaho for example good luck actually getting their over the counter tag with the current system. Two people getting the same unit much less just add a deer tag isn’t really a thing unless you find a unit no one wants to put the work in for. You’re going to have to do some more research on your own to narrow your hunt down. If I knew of anywhere in the west with all the things you are asking for the last thing I would do is mention it on the internet.

Initially Colorado wasn't on my radar and after comments here it's more than likely out of the picture. Thinking Utah or Idaho but open to other states.
Utah sucks on crowding without having the NR OTC fame and there are far less elk. I'd pass on that one as well.

hobbes

WKR
I don't think you are going to just pick up a deer tag where you can get an otc elk tag. Nearly all mule deer tags are by draw. If CO is your only option for otc elk, they don't have any otc mule deer tags. If you can't get him to commit to hunting, I don't think he's going to commit to diving off into rough terrain.

Someone is killing elk in OTC units and a bunch of them will be first time folks that luck into an elk. The odds may not be good but someone is doing it. Why the heck couldn't it be you. Odds are that it won't be you, but your chance is damn near as good as anyone.