2023 draw madness!!

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Ok......I cant be the only one that is spending an insane amount of time pouring over maps and draw odds and every other aspect of my draw strategy for 2023. I currently have my phone, laptop and desktop all on at the same time trying to arrange everything into an order of importance that makes sense. Ive been doing this every season and it has seemed to work for me but during this time (the lull between the end of 2022 season and the beginning of the draw entries for 2023) i get sooooo worked up and second guess every option.

Hopefully everyone else just knows how and where they are applying but im betting im not alone

Northpark

WKR
Used to do that. Now have more points in more states than I can realistically use (per wife’s instructions I have to spend some time on family vacations). I now just sort of pick and choose one or two hunts a year plus hunt TX and AK whenever I want.

Ok......I cant be the only one that is spending an insane amount of time pouring over maps and draw odds and every other aspect of my draw strategy for 2023. I currently have my phone, laptop and desktop all on at the same time trying to arrange everything into an order of importance that makes sense. Ive been doing this every season and it has seemed to work for me but during this time (the lull between the end of 2022 season and the beginning of the draw entries for 2023) i get sooooo worked up and second guess every option.

Hopefully everyone else just knows how and where they are applying but im betting im not alone

If you think we are in a lull and haven’t started yet you are missing some stuff.

No your not alone. Trying to juggle states, hunts, and the winter weather is the mind bender.

cs1

FNG
I’m usually in the same boat. Love getting spirals, notepads, maps and various other crap scattered all over the kitchen table. Oh, and the wife loves it…

This year it’s gonna be all pref points. We have travel plans that will gobble up most of my vacation time. I’ll put in for OIL oryx and a close to home mule deer unit, but not holding my breath.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
the draw entries for 2023) i get sooooo worked up and second guess every option.

Agree with the statement around second guessing the options. Spark of joy and anxiety all at once when thinking about applications & hunts. Running spreadsheets & 5 year hunt plans etc, seemed to have helped.

Current system: for some sates is it to stick with dedicated hunts in previous units/ hunts I enjoy. Swing for the fence in a couple other states/ hunts in areas I want to be. And finally, stop trying to predict draw odd changes from year to year for some other states (or at least minimize the units/ hunt choices down to a few). Always easier said than done though, as I'm sure I have spent 20 hours just this month "researching".

Scoot

WKR
I haven't done the deep dive yet, but I've been getting my ducks in a row to do so. Another week of archery deer season here, but after that I'll be making some decisions and digging up stats.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
im very very good at this strategy in NM. Year after year i accomplish this. I think i may literally put a unit map on the dart board. My old strategy of one or two hard draws as my first choices and then followed by one not so premium has not worked once yet.

Mojave

WKR
I have an excel file on my computer at work with what I am going to do.

Past few years have really sucked. I don't know what I am going to do for non-resident stuff.

Here in New Mexico I apply for everything, I'll probably apply for elk, deer and antelope in Idaho, and a couple other very hard to draw states. I think I am sitting Wyoming, Utah and Arizona out.

I actually got too big for my britches at work and we got a new boss, and now they are expecting more out of me. My boss had some good tags and he didn't even get to go.