2022 bear timing

Was chasing bears for the first time in montana last spring May 8-17 and didn't find much success. For people more experienced than myself, what do you think the best time of spring is generally to get on bears? I know this will vary widely on year to year weather, but in general what do you think is a good date?

Considering all the snow many places have had, along with long spells of cold below the usual, come spring in such locations, the bears will be feeding heavily, to make up not only typical weight loss, but some degree of extra weightloss.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Do you thank with the snow levels that the bears will be coming out of their dens later? There is still a lot of snow in the areas that I bear hunt. l don't think that I can even get to the trailhead

Do you thank with the snow levels that the bears will be coming out of their dens later? There is still a lot of snow in the areas that I bear hunt. l don't think that I can even get to the trailhead
Watching trends throughout the years of when bears are spotted it seems like they wake up within a week or so of previous years no matter how much snow. That is not science just what I have noticed.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is in BC, not in Montana, but its a given that the later in the spring season you hunt, the more bears you see.

And the closer you hunt to the bear rut, the more big boars you'll see.

Downside with both of the above scenarios, can be downright hot and buggy.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
We have been baiting for 20 years, and always have more boars last week of May and first week of June every year. Has everything to do with the rut and nothing to do with weather and snow levels. There's just more bears moving around those dates.

Rogue Bay

WKR
I agree the later the better for spring bear. That being said, the biggest bear I killed when I lived in Montana was shot in mid-May. I think a lack of access is a bigger issue than bear activity earlier in the season.

The rut can be a blessing and a curse. Big boars are definitely on the move and you could run into one about anywhere, but if they’re cruising and covering ground it can be hard to make a play on them.

If you’re hunting in a region where the season goes to June 15, I always did really well that first week of June.