2022 arrow selection/opinions

Hey guys. I have not been on the forum much the past 6 months or so. I am just wondering what you all are currently shooting for arrows. I have been shooting Easton Axis 5 mm for about ten years and it is time for me to either buy more or switch to something else. I really don't have a good reason to switch, other than that these Axis arrows suck to pull out of foam targets! I typically set them up with 50 grain brass inserts instead of the standard aluminum insert and they have always performed well. I guess I am just wondering if there is anything else worth a look before I buy another dozen. I currently shoot 300 spine arrows with a total finished weight around 500 grains (30 inch draw, 62# bow, 50 grain insert, nockturnals, 100 grain Sevr 2" head. I have always like the FMJ arrows but I have heard they can bend and that it is hard to tell they are bent - not sure if this is accurate or not though - thanks for your help!

dlee56

WKR
I switch between Black Eagle Renegades and Rampages. They seem to pull from the foam more easily than gold tips for sure. I also use Iron Will components and field tips, those field tips are expensive but worth every penny, their shape makes them easy to pull and I've thrown them into all kinds of rocks and boulders on the 3D course and they hardly even scratch and have never bent like the cheap ones do.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting Victory RIP XV 250 spine with a gold tip halfout up front with a 50 and 20 grain back weight. With a 125 grain head, I am running 18-19% FOC and TAW of 550. The slick finish on these shafts makes it easy to pull from foam. Excellent accuracy out to 86 yards (far as I've shot)

JasonWi

WKR
I actually did something completely different this year when selecting what I was going to shoot. I have about five different shaft/insert combos (axis and fmj with regular and brass inserts, BE rampage) and shot each one through the chronograph and ran the numbers (KE and MO) to see which setup was mathematically the most optimum for me at 29” DL and 73#?

I settled on the regular Axis 300 spine with 100 grain tip, standard aluminum insert and four fletch with wrap. Comes out to 469-470 grains

Last edited:
Ease of arrow extraction from the target is likely affected more by the size/shape of your insert and field point than by your choice of shaft. If you're not already using one, a rubber gripper can be a big help when pulling arrows out of tight targets.

To answer your question, I'm shooting 300 spine 5mm Axis arrows, some with HIT's and some with Deep Six RPS inserts.

Lots of arrow lubes are available, they really make things easy unless it's a bag target, then you just make sure everything on the front of your shaft is smaller than the shaft. I like Woody's arrow lube, but bar soap works well too. Kinda makes you inspect your shaft too.

I feel like most all the arrows out there are pretty good anymore. Decide on a component system, I'm a fan of standard .244-.246, then a weight. Find a gpi that puts you where you want to be.

OP
180splitg3
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I will probably just stick to the axis 5 mm again. Anyone have any thoughts on the match grade vs the regular? I feel like it would be tough for a normal archer (me) to see a difference in accuracy between the two...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I will probably just stick to the axis 5 mm again. Anyone have any thoughts on the match grade vs the regular? I feel like it would be tough for a normal archer (me) to see a difference in accuracy between the two...
The 5mm Axis just flat out works. I go for the regulars, I get maybe 1 in 12 that have a bit of a wobble on the spinner but not too bad. If you have a short arrow (<28") you can spin it and cut off the bad ends, this gives you a straight shaft comparable to the match grades but a lot cheaper...

I feel like the only place straightness really matters is with broadheads. I can get bent aluminum to hit same hole with a target point, put a little run-out on a shaft with broadhead on the front and it will deviate.

Is it enough to matter for you you?

Just something you need to decide.

For me, the price difference they generally charge for the straighter shafts ain't too much in the scheme of things.
And honestly, my arrows are short enough that I can normally get .003 shafts down to .001, just don't care to spend the time on it.

Avgjoe77

FNG
Regular old Gold Tip XT 300 spine with 50 grain inserts, and 100 grain head. I like the Gold Tip because they're tough as nails, and I'm able to add some extra weight up front with their FACT system, if I want. And they're affordable.
Always think I want to try something new, but these just work.

I have bounced around over the years with most of the 5mm shafts. Tinkering with high FOC and different setups. Seems like I always end up back with Easton. I went back to axis shafts this year with aluminum inserts and 125 grain tips. They fly great and should work fine as long as I stay out of the shoulder blade.

JStol5

WKR
If it ain’t broke… I was in a similar spot with axis. Either ditch em or buy more. I bought more. They fly like darts out to 80 yards for me. I shoot a 16gn stock HIT, 10gn iron will collar, and 125 grain broadhead. Finished weight is around 503 grains. They just work well. Great arrow

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I switch between Black Eagle Renegades and Rampages. They seem to pull from the foam more easily than gold tips for sure. I also use Iron Will components and field tips, those field tips are expensive but worth every penny, their shape makes them easy to pull and I've thrown them into all kinds of rocks and boulders on the 3D course and they hardly even scratch and have never bent like the cheap ones do.
Is it because the GT's penetrate deeper?

OP
180splitg3
Thanks for the responses guys. I will stick to the axis again - most likely the regular and not the match grade. If anyone has a good recommendation for a reflective arrow wrap I would appreciate that too. I have heard some of them leave tons of adhesive on the shaft when removed from the arrow...

Side note…the wrap will leave a lot less residue if you heat them up with a hair dryer when you pull them off. They come off a lot easier too.

dlee56

WKR
Is it because the GT's penetrate deeper?
From what I've noticed the GT Shafts are just a little less smooth than the BEs. I think they get a little more friction. My GTs always pulled out with some plastic on them when shooting cheap layer targets but I've never had Eastons or BEs do that in the same targets

JasonWi

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. I will stick to the axis again - most likely the regular and not the match grade. If anyone has a good recommendation for a reflective arrow wrap I would appreciate that too. I have heard some of them leave tons of adhesive on the shaft when removed from the arrow...
Heat some water upon the microwave for about 1-1:30 then place the wrapped shaft in the water to fully cover. Wait a minute or two and the wrap will peel off and very little residue mess to deal with.

OP
180splitg3
Heat some water upon the microwave for about 1-1:30 then place the wrapped shaft in the water to fully cover. Wait a minute or two and the wrap will peel off and very little residue mess to deal with.
Thanks for the tip!

Paul J

FNG
Hey guys. I have not been on the forum much the past 6 months or so. I am just wondering what you all are currently shooting for arrows. I have been shooting Easton Axis 5 mm for about ten years and it is time for me to either buy more or switch to something else. I really don't have a good reason to switch, other than that these Axis arrows suck to pull out of foam targets! I typically set them up with 50 grain brass inserts instead of the standard aluminum insert and they have always performed well. I guess I am just wondering if there is anything else worth a look before I buy another dozen. I currently shoot 300 spine arrows with a total finished weight around 500 grains (30 inch draw, 62# bow, 50 grain insert, nockturnals, 100 grain Sevr 2" head. I have always like the FMJ arrows but I have heard they can bend and that it is hard to tell they are bent - not sure if this is accurate or not though - thanks for your help!
Black Eagle Renegades