2012 Mule Deer Goals

One thing that I like doing before a season kicks off is I like to have a set of goals in mind before I hit the trail for that first hunt.

It may not be score based or even have inches associated anywhere in them but I do like to have reference for what I will take.

For instance, in 2010 for my Kansas hunt I had one goal...180". I didn't care if it was a typical or a non-typical 180" is what I would take or nothing. You can read a little about it in my story: "MASS" http://www.rokslide.com/other/hunting-stories/134-qmassq-by-evan-williams

In 2011, for my Colorado high country I wanted a big Typical. Good fronts and backs. Score wasn't an issue with me BUT I wanted to get him before he shed his velvet. You can read about the result of that hunt in the next issue of EBJ.

I have ONE goal and one goal alone for my 2012 season. "AirPlane". I didn't have the good fortune of drawing a mule deer tag in Colorado however, I do have an either species either sex tag for Kansas and I am hunting a buck I nicknamed AirPlane in 2010 and he has survived. I had the good fortune to catch a glimpse of him late in the season last year AFTER rifle so he is my target.

Does anyone else set down a goal list or set of criteria when they hit the hills? Let's hear them!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but mine usually has more to do with my self, like being more patient, moving slower, being more focused, and even "not hunting so dam much" (my wife likes that one.)

For me, hunting is about learning and learning about oneself is paramount to success. Most of my failures in life had to do with me and me alone. By goal setting along those lines, I can better myself. Got a long ways to go, but I do know I'm a little more patient than when I was 20 and have a better attitude, too. It's hard to quantify goals like this, but looking back, I can see that I'm hitting them, at least sometimes.

Great thread Evan!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On what kind of deer, well 180 inches. I don't care if its typical, non etc. just has to break that mall. We found 2 deer in our area that were that big, problem was my tag was already spent on a deer that was 10 inches below my new goal.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
What I want and what I get are probably going to be two different thing's, however, I want a 200'' typical and I know he's there. Just goat get lucky!

Good mature buck from the high country, if I can pull that off here in wa I will be thrilled. In Montana I'd like to settle the score with the buck I was chasing last year, he was about 180 which is plenty big enough for me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two high country mule deer tags this year. One trip with a great hunting buddy in Nevada and one solo in California. I want to be successful on both. I have not killed a bunch of mule deer with my bow, so I am hoping for two P&Y bucks. Hopefully I have a good time and don't have any big issues on the trips or the hunts.

D

david long

My goal is the same as it is each year....it has nothing to do with score, nothing to do with width, nothing to do with height.....it is simply to harvest the biggest buck that I locate while scouting or hunting....if I accomplish this.....I have succeeded.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
My first goal is to kill a mature deer. After that, I really strive to find 'the deer' that I will focus on throughout the season. I like the challenge of trying to kill a specific buck. I have had my butt kicked the last two years trying to kill a specific buck. Also, they were not true slammers, and so I spent more time then I should searching for a gagger rather than hunting the bucks I had located. I am not sure how I will handle this situation in the future.

Colorado plains my goal is to have fun and killing something is a bonus.

Great Read on your MASS buck Evan! That is a great buck!

Last edited:

400out

FNG
Get into a area that I have never hunted before! not a lot of deer but has some pigs hiding.

velvetfvr

WKR
To arrow my first buck that is a 3 pt. or better. That is a simple goal. My real goal is to arrow a buck I named LUCKY! I missed him with a rifle at 60 yards! He was a 180 class buck! I hadn't practiced with a rifle and had been focused with a bow and forgot to SQUEEZE the trigger. Well he will be bigger this year because I made sure he didn't get killed.

My goal is simple. Kill A deer. I have yet to connect with a bow.I have killed nice bucks with rifle and Muzzelloader, yet the Archery kill is still elusive. I will take what ever is presented to me (buck/doe). I have learned alot about hunting since I started archery hunting and I feel it makes me a smarter hunter. I had planned to do things different this year but the fires seem to keep me out of my area. So we will see what happens in August when I go to scout.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
To kill the biggest, oldest, wisest, animal I can find regardless of what species I am hunting. To take a wise mature animal is great regardless of score! But gotta admit, score is nice!

7mag.

WKR
My goal is to shoot my first buck on a back pack hunt. I've been on few, but never connected. I am also taking my little brother along, who has never taken a big game animal, and I really hope to help him get his first. As far as size, a big mature buck would be great, but I also really like the taste of Venison.

Lawnboi

WKR
I was too picky last year holding out for a decent buck left me going home empty handed. Hard to say what will happen this year. I really want to put something on the ground but i have a hard time shooting a smaller buck when im seeing bigger ones.

I think this year i should go for putting one on the ground, as long as it isnt a complete dink.