2 early Nov cow tags

505Wapiti

WKR
So our household was lucky and my 14 and 12 year old both drew the same cow tag for early Nov. I’ve never taken a cow, only piss and mud covered stinking bulls. I have 5 days to get 2 cows down and packed out with these two boys. Should I be picky and try to put them on a younger cow? My gut says seize whatever opportunity exists, as this is the first elk tag for both of my boys. I love elk, pronghorn, deer, oryx, etc., is a younger smaller cow that much better than an older heavier cow? I never tend to look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to putting meat in the freezer, so don’t want to be too picky. Thoughts?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Take a step back and think this through. Your 12 year old is behind the gun, a cow is in his scope, are you going to tell him, don’t shoot her, she’s too big? Of course not. Unless you’re hunting a private ranch with a field full of cows go hunt and do everything you can to make this a memory your 12 and 14 year old will never forget.

Geewhiz

WKR
Kinda depends on what kind of a hunt you are expecting/hoping for as far as numbers. No idea where you're going to be and how target rich the environment is. Either way it's a gamble.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Cow steady in scope in comfortable range for your kids, I recommend they be squeezing the trigger. We’ve shot old and young cows over the years. While there have been differences in the meat quality I suspect it had as much to do with how quickly the animal died, temp at time of kill and the way it was prepared rather than the age. At the end of the day the straps and loins are going to be great no matter what. You can do miracles with roasts in a slow cooker and elk burger is the best. Hope your kids have a great hunt, nothing better!

Laramie

WKR
I wouldn't advise passing opportunities but, a .5-1.5 year old elk is consistently great table fare. With older ages it's a gamble. We have had some tough cows in the past that the steaks were almost inedible. They made fantastic burger though. Our worst elk, by a long ways, was an old lead cow that my wife shot. She was calm at the shot and hadn't been run at all (private ranch). We had her quarters hanging in a walk-in cooler within 3 hours of the shot so field care wasn't an issue. She was one tough elk. Even her backstraps were bad.

It's pretty rare to just have a lone cow in front of you, especially in November. If you have a discussion with the boys before the hunt about it, I'm betting they will eagerly select one of the smaller cows in the herd when the opportunity presents. That said, let them shoot whatever they can get. Chances are at least one of the cows will be a tender, great tasting animal.

OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
Thanks for the replies…. I certainly don’t plan on passing up any opportunity that presents itself but I appreciate the feedback @Laramie on the difference experienced in meat quality. My oldest has taken pronghorn and oryx, but this will be his first elk hunt. My youngest will be experiencing his first hunt behind the trigger ever. I have a feeling any opportunity will be capitalized on, can’t see passing it up unless it’s just an unbearable pack out and I’m usually good at figuring that out after the damage has already been done 😂

WBrim

WKR
That will be cool if you can get both boys on a shot. doubling up for first elk sounds like a blast.

Cow hunts are a great youth opportunity to help youth grow as a hunter, I have ate older and younger cows all taste great if you process the meat properly and age it. I would have them start shooting as soon as they are ready on any cow, if you shoot the lead cow the herd will stop and allow the 2nd shooter for a easy shot.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot big old cows and found my solution used to be burger for everything other than the backstraps and lions. Now it is 100% burger for any big tough old cow. Burger is not a bad thing.

I have read several places that the lead cow knows the migration routes, etc to lead the herd to lower elevations. That means she would probably be older and meat quality not the best. For that reason, I would avoid shooting the lead cow. Pick out some of the younger more tasty cows for them to shoot. If it is a cow by herself, then I guess it is hammer time.

Last edited: