1st Rifle Season in Colorado

Here's some photos and a story of this years hunt. One of the great things about hunting is swapping stories and since I've been lurking here for a while, I figure I throw mine in. Be aware I wrote this for family originally so a bit of this is common hunting knowledge.

Day 1 - Thursday - Packing up
I had finally arrived to the area I'd scouted just two weeks earlier. The elk were in full rut and I spotted eight bulls on a bench above a band of steep timber cliffs. Two pairs were bashing their antlers together. I was in the thick of the mountains, a ways past Gunnison. There wasn't a soul near the trailhead back then so I was hopeful that this hunt was going to be the same. So far there weren't a lot of cars on the way but sure enough, two trucks at the trailhead. Oh well. I loaded up the pack and headed up the gulch to set up camp.

KIMG2439 plt.JPG
My pack all loaded up

Day 2- Friday - Final Survey

The day before opening day is all about making sure that the elk are where I've seen them before. Knowing their distribution is critical to begin the hunt. If you don't know where they are, you're banking on sheer coincidence of a sighting to harvest. Finding them is arguably the most difficult part in this whole ordeal. Most hunters can't even locate a bull and the state statistics say that only 15% percent of hunters are successful each year in Colorado. Before you can hunt a bull, you have to find a bull. The whole day was spent climbing up to a 13,000'+ ridge above camp and looking down at the elk along the treeline where their perfect habitat is. I took out a spotting scope my coworker had loaned me and scanned for hours. Not only could I see the elk, but they were still bugling. Very good sign. It wasn't all good though however. I also saw a camp right in the middle of the habitat from the two hunters parked at the trailhead. That's not cool in my opinion to camp right there. As time went on it only got worse. It was pretty obvious that those two hunters pushed the elk to the east end of the bench. But then the packers came. A half a dozen guys set up a giant walled tent in the middle of the backcountry in plain view of me and the elk - wearing blue jeans. Nice. But I did pick out an elk that I wanted to pursue and I knew at that point that I was going to approach from the ridge behind the elk since those packers were not about to climb a ridge. Wranglers don't stretch.

KIMG2440~2.JPG
Surveying the timberline from a 13,240' saddle

KIMG2460~2.JPG
Scoping out a nice 6x6 while he bugles from the saddle

Day 3 - Saturday - Opening Day and Frustration

My alarm rings at 4:00 am. I only have 2 1/2 hours to get up the ridge to approach my preferred drainage. I ripped up the same saddle I was on yesterday but once I reached the other side, I was being cautious and stealthy. I didn't want to move in without good light. I figured if I waltzed in there all I'd do was bust the elk and lose the opportunity of a proper setup. I was also being careful since the wind was likely blowing my scent down where the elk were. Slow and deliberate movement. It turns out that was a mistake. I creeped to 700 yards to the target area just to watch the packers walking in plain view each taking shots. I thought this was a stealth game, turns out it was a race. I watched these guys bust a herd of ~100 elk out the drainage shooting two. Good job guys, you killed two bulls and completely ruined any chance of success for the rest of your party. That's how some folks get elk mounted on their wall, I guess. All you have to do is pay big for a guide to hold your hand to a shooting spot and when you're done you can drink whiskey in a walled tent deep in the backcountry. But actually, no disrespect to outfitters, I was obviously very pissed off. I hiked about 16 miles that day looking for elk in different pockets. Nothing. I felt like I pissed a ton of preparation away pinning this spot down months in advance.

What was great was that my girlfriend decided to come in and help pack some extra food into camp. That put me in a better mood but I was still irritated. Later that day the two backcountry hunters from the trailhead came walking by my camp. Sounds like they witnessed the same phenomenon but managed to take a bull as the drainage was being flushed out. I respect them and I'm happy they were successful.

KIMG2473-EDIT.jpg
Crossing ridges trying to locate a new pocket of Elk. The colorado trail is in the distance.

KIMG2476-EDIT.jpg
Hunting a new ridge in the evening with a lake in the distance

Day 4 - Sunday - Revaluating Plan

After talking to my girlfriend about what had happened I decided I either needed to leave the area go to one of my backup spots or go way deeper. Before I decided I wanted to do one final hunt in the original area to verify my intuition. I got up early again and didn't manage to see anything. I wanted to do one big final sweeping 8-mile loop. As I snuck around the area I stumbled upon a guy nestled in the timber glassing. I was surprised to see him but also disappointed because I'm not trying to locate another camp out here. After whispering back and forth I learned he was scouting just like I did earlier. After I exchanged my intel, he decided to inform me that there were two bulls on the far east end of the bench that vanished just as I entered the bench. I was shocked since that was where those packers blew out the whole drainage, and he was surprised too. But sure enough, there was elk in there.

I came back to camp where my girlfriend had stayed after doing my big loop and mentioned it was time to go deeper (for the hunt). I'm already invested in the area. Maybe the leftover animals will become active again now that the group of a half dozen left? So she kindly took the extra weight down that I wanted to shed and then I set up camp on the bench. Hunting right out of my tent door. Now that's luxury.

KIMG2488-EDIT.jpg
The view as I hike to the top of the bench to set up camp

Attachments

• KIMG2439.JPG
    KIMG2439.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG2518.JPG
    KIMG2518.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 4
  • KIMG2502-EDIT.jpg
    KIMG2502-EDIT.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG2489~2.JPG
    KIMG2489~2.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
terrytheluddite
Day 5 - Monday - Action Starts
I woke up late on day five since I didn't need to hike. 5:30am and I'm glassing in every direction. It wasn't long till I noticed a cow to the west of me acting as a lookout. That was perfect since we had a west wind to my face. Better yet the elk kept appearing as the sun rose more and more. Where there are cows, there's a probably a bull. I kept glassing but was definitely excited to have some hope. And finally, there was the bull, pushing the cows. I needed to get closer if I want a chance so I went back into the timber where my tent was. I moved in slow motion. But they were moving too so I felt hurried. At one point there was no more cover to close the distance and as my foot snaped a twig under my foot the lookout cow beamed straight at me. The cows got spooked and began heading for the bench exit where the other ~100 already left. But as the cows left, the bull stopped broadside of me and froze. This was seconds but it felt like eternity. I couldn't make the shot while gassed so I sat down and took aim. My breathing was still heavy so I watched my crosshairs carefully and pulled the trigger. It didn't feel right. I watched that bull run away with doubt. I hiked up to the knob where they were to be completely sure I didn't hit the bull. He was gone. I lifted my binos and saw the herd already 2000+ yards away. I rested my binos on my rifle barrel and kneeled to glass for the herd. To my relief I had not injured that bull. I wondered if the scouter was awake and went to his camp since it was 200 yards away. Sure enough he was awake and was watching that exact bull from the other side and told me it was a clean miss. Ironically it was a great thing. At this point I'm calm and disappointed with what I did. I should have been more confident about the shot. It's better to try to close the distance and get busted rather than injury the bull. It's okay to strike out. What a great learning lesson.

1729605967503.png
The perfect habitat near where I had my clean miss

I learned the name of the scouter that morning. We spoke and I voiced my pessimism of this area. It turns out he's hunted this area for years and is shocked to learn that there's so much hunting pressure this year in this is piece the backcountry. I did feel better after that conversation though and decided that my hunt is trending in the right direction because I chose to go deeper. So I decided I'm going to keep going deeper. I packed my camp up once more and started hiking east towards where the big herd exited. I'm going full nomad at this point and I figure I'll bail out of the nearest creek to the road below. I packed up and I'm still trying to spot the herd I encountered that morning. I glassed the far end and notice a herd of six a mile out. The herd from earlier was a group of six. Looks like I found them. Now I've chosen my target. I stay out of sight in the timber, moving quietly. I hiked an hour and set up camp downslope and downwind 1.3 miles from where the herd is bedding.

3:24pm. Camp set. The wind is right. I spent the next hour crouching in the creek since it isolated my sound from the environment. I needed to get closer to where the herd had been but they would smell me if I kept going directly towards them, so I slid into the timber (elk can detect scent better than bloodhounds). I closed the distance to 250 yards. I was in range. I dropped everything I had except my rifle and a trekking pole so I could be more stealthy. 150 yards out. At this point I'm moving so slow that the fastest step I take is three seconds long since elk can see movement very well- but they don't have high definition vision. I avoid stepping on dry leaves, pine cones, twigs, tall brush, talus, and scree to stay completely silent. I'm 75 yards out. Every three steps I take I pull my binos so I can detect the edge of an elk before they see me. I get to the opening where the elk have been and it's empty. Nothing. Did I just stalk this herd for hours just to get winded? I heard a cow call from the southwest. I figure the elk probably moved down towards the two bulls since it's now evening. And then the bulls called. Looks like we know where the herd went now. I quietly walk down to the nearest opening and there they are. Two bulls and five cows only about 100 yards away. It's clinical to me now and I choose the bull on the left, pull the rifle up, and put the lead right into the bull's vitals, behind the shoulder, just below the spine. There's no running or blood trail, it's over. I can't say for sure but this could be the very same bull that I had sought out from earlier in the morning. The difference from earlier is that I made a correction to my technique and worked this stalk so hard that this shot didn't shake me one bit. I got it done. I worked continuously to process the bull and haul the meat to camp, wrapping up around 4:30am after a 6:00 pm shot. Cooled meat doesn't spoil.

TLTR: I shot an elk

1729606030679.png
The scene of the harvest with a 5x5 raghorn by the stream

Day 6 - Tuesday - Cleaning Up and Attempting an Exit

I gave myself five hours of sleep and got to cleaning and loading up. I grabbed the antlers from the carcass and brought them down to camp. I very deliberately set up my camp so that I could bushwack down the creek where I think the outfitters went up. Judging from the map this was going to cut my hike down by about 5 miles. I'll just have to walk the road 3 more miles and pick up the van to the new exit if it works out. So I loaded what was probably about 75lb of meat and headed down. Long story short, it was shitty. It took me 4 hours to go 2.5 miles. I have no idea where exactly those packers went up but it wasn't how I got down (I later found out they went up the trail late at night. Oops). This ended up being such a pain the ass that I scrapped that idea and walked back to the trailhead with the meat where I came originally. I dropped it off, ate Campbell's soup and headed right back. I got to camp in the dark and called it.

1729606222012.png
While leaving I found the outfitter's camp they stayed to presumably get hammered, god willing

Day 7 - Wednesday - Truckin'
I got an early start this day and managed to haul two loads. Nothing sexy here, just a lot of work. I did get some healthy concern about the weather though. It was starting to get very breezy and a little snowy. I was also taking too long to get back if I wanted to get back to work on Thursday. So I texted my boss and checked the weather. Weather report for tonight: shitty. Okay, I love my tiny tent but 30 mph sustained winds doesn't sound like a good night's rest. I hauled the third load to my rig and called it, exiting the trailhead while it was a downpour. Once I got done with that load I felt accomplished since the meat was now stored. I took all the meat I could, liver and heart included. I went to the town Mexican restaurant and was mildly annoyed to discover that it was karaoke night. Karaoke is good and fine but for God's sake can we have one quiet restaurant for a single dirty man to sit at a table and drink an ice cold Modelo? That's my brand. $40 bucks not well spent.

OP
terrytheluddite
Day 8 - Thursday - Breaking Camp in a Blizzard

The only thing I had to grab now was my camp and the antlers if I felt like it. Sounds easy right? I started off hiking in heavy rain. The rain turned to snow near and it got a lot more pleasant.

KIMG2525-EDIT.jpg
Waterfall along the trail looks small here but it's about 20' tall

After climbing 1000' more the snow got heavy and horizontal. I would have taken pictures but there isn't much to look at when the visibility is 15'. In Colorado style the weather came and went and did that several times. I finally got to my camp and was glad I chose to stay in the van.

KIMG2529-EDIT.jpg
My camp got completed wrecked. I guess I dodged a bullet

Once I broke camp I could finally feel the end. It was bittersweet since the heavy work was almost done but these mountains have been good to me and I had a feeling of loss because I knew I couldn't do this trip over again. I lost two sizes in my belt on this trip and my failures outweighed my successes tenfold. But I wouldn't have wanted it any other way because for me hunting is the pursuit of learning and refinement. The trip would have been worth it if I didn't get an elk because I came home with a notebook of learning lessons. That being said, I'm pretty happy with the 250 lb of meat I have in sitting in my coolers.

KIMG2547-EDIT.jpg
View of the basin where I harvested, dressed in white. Pack out was 59 miles and 7400' gain. 11 square miles hunted.