15x vs. 20x Binos

I am wondering if there are any benefits of moving up from 15x binos to 20x? I am specifically looking at the Vortex Kaibab 20-56. Thoughts on the Kaibabs? Any help would be appreciated! Or is moving to a better 15x the move? Currently use Vortex Diamondback 15x on tripod. Hearing good things about Meopta B1's 15x56??

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR
I think it depends what you plan to do with them. I have a pair of 15's that I really like but when I compared them to a same-brand pair of 20's (not Kaibabs but decent glass) it didn't feel like enough of a difference to me. But I have a 20-60 spotting scope that fills that role, so I'd rather carry that plus lighter bino's most of the time.

It's a pretty personal decision IMO.

jimh406

WKR
I have no experience with 20X. Most people find a maximum power they can reasonably use. I'd go take a look where they have them, and see if you can use 20X effectively without too much shake. Btw, some people have issues using anything more than 10X, but it depends on how you plan to use them. Using them only from a tripod is different than holding them in your hands.

All else being equal, you'll lose Field of View, and they won't be quite as bright in lower light conditions when you step up in power. If the objectives are larger, that might mitigate some of the effect.

JakeSCH

WKR
I went from 15x to 18x and really missed the FOV and loss of brightness. That is likely magnified (pun intended) at 20x.

I have also found that better glass at lower power helps resolve more at distance.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have Vortex 18s, 10s and Kowa 773 spotter... You really don't need to move IMHO. I have different needs for each and even then never carry all in a pack. The 18s really need a tripod and I do love using both eyes to glass with. But are they really better than my 10s? No, so looking to change from 15 to 18 is a wash I think.

OP
Trapper330
I have no experience with 20X. Most people find a maximum power they can reasonably use. I'd go take a look where they have them, and see if you can use 20X effectively without too much shake. Btw, some people have issues using anything more than 10X, but it depends on how you plan to use them. Using them only from a tripod is different than holding them in your hands.

All else being equal, you'll lose Field of View, and they won't be quite as bright in lower light conditions when you step up in power. If the objectives are larger, that might mitigate some of the effect.
I should have mentioned that they will be used on a tripod. Thanks for the input! I've heard those 2 things are "lost" - FOV and brightness. Maybe I should look at a better 15X??

jimh406

WKR
I should have mentioned that they will be used on a tripod. Thanks for the input! I've heard those 2 things are "lost" - FOV and brightness. Maybe I should look at a better 15X??

In general, getting better glass is very noticeable especially in low light or when you are looking for details or game. I think most would say better glass helps more than higher power for hunting and spotting game.