15/18's worth it in the heat?

I haven't been able to use 15's in the field yet. I owned 12's for a while but only used them in late season MT&CO. I've been looking into higher power binos but I mostly hunt earlier seasons in CO and rest of the southwest now. Is it worth it still or do heat waves make them useless at a certain point for glassing far when it's warmer out?
I know a lot of guys love em for coues in AZ but those are usually Dec/Jan so not too hot outside.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 15s, I’ve used them in summer temperatures and have never experienced anything to different than using a pair of 10s or 12s. They are a great addition to a glassing set up especially for mule deer.

Same here. Have the Swarovski SLC 15x56’s and several pics and videos of sheep and deer in temps above 100 degrees.

There have been some times during the day where I see a bit of heat mirage, but it’s not as bad as you’d think. Nothing like a spotting scope at least in my experience.

I‘ll look for some pictures right now. I remember seeing some of Aoudad/Barbary Sheep in my camera roll a few days ago. Stay tuned!

These sheep were about 525 yards away digiscoping with my iPhone through the Swaro 15x56’s on a tripod. When I looked at the videos I took, I could actually see a bit of heat mirage. It was 103 or 105 degrees at the time and a miserable day out in that heat - I remember it vividly! Lol

F373E29F-725F-4286-99A8-5526BC33F27F.jpeg
23D30618-B87A-48A5-9C3F-F22AD6B3CDE9.jpeg
71D7001A-417B-4DF5-8DBA-42B0904AA69B.jpeg
875F3BCA-2A20-44A6-A7D2-181DD0BDCAF5.jpeg

OP
100 others
There have been some times during the day where I see a bit of heat mirage, but it’s not as bad as you’d think. Nothing like a spotting scope at least in my experience.
Thanks, and yeah I've looked thru my spotter plenty at 15x but figured it wasn't an apples to apples comparison with the narrow FOV vs a Bino.

OP
100 others
These sheep were about 525 yards away digiscoping with my iPhone through the Swaro 15x56’s on a tripod. When I looked at the videos I took, I could actually see a bit of heat mirage. It was 103 or 105 degrees at the time and a miserable day out in that heat - I remember it vividly! Lol

View attachment 531016
View attachment 531017
View attachment 531019
View attachment 531020
Great pics! Much less mirage than I was expecting for 100+ degrees over sand/rocks. Thanks for sharing.

BBob

WKR
I know a lot of guys love em for coues in AZ but those are usually Dec/Jan so not too hot outside.
I’ve used them year round for decades down here. Does mirage kick up and affect you? Yes but not to the point I’ll put 15’s away and put 10’s on the tripod. My 10’s don’t have a tripod mount for that matter and haven’t for decades.

BTW How do you figure we mostly hunt Coues in December/January???

OP
100 others
I’ve used them year round for decades down here. Does mirage kick up and affect you? Yes but not to the point I’ll put 15’s away and put 10’s on the tripod. My 10’s don’t have a tripod mount for that matter and haven’t for decades.

I lived in Tucson for a couple years. I hunted the easier to draw October coues hunts but saw the bigger crowds come out for mixed bag archery deer/javelina. Not many deer hitting tailgates with archery equip but it seemed like there was a set of glass on every hilltop while I was chasing javelina with a bow.
Looks like AZ or Mexico in January is the cool new thing for all the youtubers and TV shows so I can imagine it's even more crowded now than it was 10 years ago when I was doing it.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
Depended on the glass for me. I went on a AZ Coues hunt in 21. I showed up with 15s and 10s. The 15s were what I would consider and intermediate grade glass, the 10s were very premium. Lined them up side by side in heat looking at a tree 980yds away. There was no comparison on picking out detail. I hunted with the 10s for the entire hunt.

BBob

WKR
I lived in Tucson for a couple years. I hunted the easier to draw October coues hunts but saw the bigger crowds come out for mixed bag archery deer/javelina. Not many deer hitting tailgates with archery equip but it seemed like there was a set of glass on every hilltop while I was chasing javelina with a bow.
Looks like AZ or Mexico in January is the cool new thing for all the youtubers and TV shows so I can imagine it's even more crowded now than it was 10 years ago when I was doing it.
October draw odds are second only to late December now and almost as hard to draw. I have not experienced more pressure in January than on the gun hunts. Maybe due to locations I hunt?

Stereotype just like AZ is nothing but a desert waste land.

OP
100 others
October draw odds are second only to late December now and almost as hard to draw. I have not experienced more pressure in January than on the gun hunts. Maybe due to locations I hunt?
Could be, I'm sure each unit is a little different. I assume what I was seeing was probably due to proximity to Tucson and the airport with all the OTC tags lining up with nicer weather.

Beendare

WKR
I regularly see stuff with the 15’s that I miss with my 10x

I have gotten a little bit of mirage, but that’s typical with any high power glass. It happens when the ground heats up especially when there’s some moisture in the air.