14'r/Tarryall/Woodsman for day/upland/whitetail?

kodiakfly

WKR
14'r/Tarryall/Woodsman for day/upland/whitetail/turkey?

I've got big, hauling Kifarus and am now looking for one for throwing dead ptarmigan and rabbit into, whitetail hunting (carrying heavy insulation layer to/from tree stand, food, calls, small crap...)

I literally have a Woodsman/Duplex UL in my cart and ready to pay and then I start looking at the 14'r and Tarryall and thinking they may be the way to go. I was by default going with the Duplex frame because it's what I know and I know what it'll do and the UL is light enough to carry all day bird hunting. I've got an old Marauder for my EDC and that's my only experience with a non-Duplex Kifaru. So if I ever had to, what kind of load can a 14'r or Tarryall handle and be comfortable?

This bag will be replacing an old Arc'Teryx Bora 40, which I think is like 2900 ci. The 14'r with some pockets would be about that. So I guess for those that know, is the Woodsman too much of a pack for this, and is the 14'r enough of a pack?

I'm always "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it..." I'll not be doing a moose hunt with this bag, and it really will be for small game and whitetails. But if I decided to take it out for a day of blacktail hunting, could I at least get some meat in it and not kill my back and shoulders?

How do the belts on the 14'r and Tarryall handle medium or small belt pouches?

Friggin Kifaru...when you think you've got it all figured out, they have more options to look at...

Last edited:
I train and hunt with my hunting duplex and AMR year round and like yourself know it's capabilities. Love the set up but feel it's a little overkill for most of my local whitetail hunting. For a few years I ran a Late Season and was fairly happy with it. It's robust suspension and size was perfect for day hunts where I needed extra layers or planned to carry a meat load out. However, I felt it was also a little too heavy duty for light loads or short day trips.

I purchased a 14'r to run as my whitetail day trip pack and couldn't be happier. It's suspension is strong enough to carry 50# all day long thru the field and the suspension moved well with the new lumbar pad design. It's just robust enough to carry a load but not so overbearing you feel like you've got a frame strapped to your back. The padded Omni belt feels good on the hips without being overly bulky. Seems to snug down right where I want it to be and stay there for as long as I want it. It holds belt pouches just like the duplex belt and I run the same pouches on both set ups (medium on the right, Nalgene and mini on the left). The pals matrix tabs on the sides give great options for belt pouches or SS pockets allowing you to scale the ci's for the planned trip. The ability to pack meat out with it will kind of depend how full you have the pack and what available room is left over. Using a grab it for overflow gear or the meat bag might be a great solution for you.

I'm definitely pleased
with the 14'r for whitetail hunting and short day trips. The only "gripe" I have with it is the lack of full zip in the front. (Think MR 3DAP). I believe opening up the entire front would make this a perfect day pack and no need to look any further. It's a personal preference though and I'm sure others might not agree. One day I'll get the sack to make the cut and see what happens. Until then I'm glad I chose the 14'r for its size and capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
I use my Spike Camp for what you are describing. It is similar to the 14'r in size. I even put an elk quarter in this year on my first trip and then I switched out for a bigger pack.

I used my Spike Camp this fall grouse hunting, fly fishing, scouting and hiking. It is a perfect size for day trips and I thing the 14'r would be just as good (probably better)

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Until recently, I was in your exact same position. I had an AMR on a 26" frame and I so badly wanted it to be the do everything from whitetail to elk pack. I realized it was just way to much for whitetail, and honestly, to much for elk on shorter 3-5 day trips. I ended up selling my AMR and picking up a Reckoning for my elk setup. Haven't had it in the field yet, but it appears to be pretty much perfect for how I operate.

This didn't solve my whitetail/day hunting needs. I wanted something on a shorter frame for navigating thick brush, etc., so I was really looking at something that would fit a 22" frame. I was really considering the Woodsman to fill this void, but I was thinking that compared to the Reckoning, they were pretty similar and would probably have some overlap in capabilities. I also really wanted a water bladder sleeve inside the bag, some internal organization, & the side bellows pockets like the Reckoning has. After considering this for quite awhile, I started looking at the 22mag, & during the recent Kifaru sale, I picked up a 22" UL frame & a used 22 mag on here for an extremely reasonable price. I just recently spend a few days doing day hunts for late season whitetail here in Iowa. I could not be happier for how it works for me. It is the perfect size for day hunting for me. It was large enough for my all of my day hunting gear including extra insulation layers, food, stove, water, kill kit, med kit, possibles pouch, you name it. The top pocket is great for spare gloves, chemical hand warmers, etc. The side pockets housed my tripod & my lightweight field chair perfectly and also keep them protected from getting beat up by brush. I also really like the panel loading of this bag, extremely functional and makes organizing the pack extremely easy. I can't give you any advice on hauling heavy weight with a 22" UL frame as of yet, but for me here in Iowa, my pack outs are basically non existent. It would be pretty difficult to get over a mile from any road in my area. I would say that my day hunting gear, bag, water, etc. probably weighed in at around 20lbs, and it was extremely comfortable all day long and carried with no issues. When whitetail season is over, I plan on using this setup for some day hunts for birds, rabbits, etc. as well.

I looked at the the 14'r as well, but with the sale, I got the UL frame & the 22mag for right at the same price as the 14'r, & the frame with removable bag combo is way more versatile in my opinion. It will allow me to swap bags in the future if I decide to switch it up. I also had a sneaking suspicion that the 14'r would be a touch too small for my daily needs in late season. After loading all of my late season clothing etc. in the bag, I'm convinced that a bag in the 45-55L size range is perfect for day hunting when it's cold.

None of this directly answers your question(s), but I wanted to share my experience since I was in your shoes about a month or so ago.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Always great to have multiple first hand experiences.

I tried the same thing for a short time, 22" UL & 22Mag, and really liked that setup. However, for my needs/uses even without the belt it was still overkill for light and nimble treestand and whitetail hunting. You're right the versatility of switching bags on the shorter frame is an advantage if a guy plans to run different small set ups. I realized I wasn't ever gonna make those type of swaps on the 22 frame and it steered me towards the 14'r. Thanks again for chiming in.

molon labe, mrbill

I used an MR 3dap for what you are describing. I swapped it to an MR crewcab on a NICE frame for meat hauling capability. I also found it is a great turkey decoy hauler.

I mainly hunt public land with no vehicle access. Terrain is hilly and wooded. My options are drag or quarter and haul. I drug three last year. After using the crew cab once, I am convinced the meat hauler is the way to go. I am thinking a woodsman on a 22 inch frame would be the right answer.

I chukar and grouse hunt alot, my old favorite set up was a wingworks vest, but I started packing camera equipment and switched to a kifaru spike camp and couldn't be happier. I love it because I can strap a rod tube or my trekking poles to the outside, pack some cooking and survival gear in case I have to spend the night out looking for a lost dog, and still have room for a limit of blue grouse.
I might be upgrading to a 14r just because it sounds like an even better option than my beloved spike camp.

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Awesome guys. Thanks. I was on autopilot ordering a Duplex pack, and while it'd work fine, I'm glad I asked. I think I'll do the 14'r for deer/turkey/upland.

Deepshax

WKR
Im using the 14r for whitetail too. I usually have a lone wolf climber hanging off the back with extra clothes and whatever else i need. Sure beats hanging a small pack off the climber. My duplex would be too much, this pack is pretty light and can comfortably handle a but of weight. I also use it for thru hikes.

I feel like I only use my duplex to haul sandbags up and down hills these days lol

Last edited:

TubbsTru

WKR
I run a duplex, even here in central Wisconsin for Whitetails. I had a Tahr for a while, then a Woodsman. I didn't care for the limitations of either in terms of access. Now I have a Mountain Warrior and love it. A bit overkill for Whitetail, but I can haul my heavy bibs and jacket without feeling cramped, and then I just carry a small possibles pouch into the tree. I think, though, if I was debating between the packs you mentioned, I'd go Tarryall. Panel access and enough cubic inches for warm clothes.

mrgreen

WKR
I've used the Mountain Warrior for a while, I really like the access with the front panel. So, when I found myself in the same position as you (smaller pack for dayhunts) the Tarryall was an easy choice. The size is right, pockets work well, and it'll hold a nalgene pocket and small belt pouch on the belt.

It's got elastic bottle retainers in the side pockets, but I find it easier to keep a water bottle on the belt.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the 14'r as well, and I think it would fit the bill for sure. I've used a MR Overload on a NICE frame in the past for big hunts but that pack is really heavy and I like the Kifaru "floppy" belt way better, even for heavy weight. My plans next year are to use the 14'r even for the elk hunt from a spike camp as a full day pack and use it as a meat hauler if I get the kill. I've spent enough time with it and packed enough hogs and camera gear to know that it and I are up to it. I love the suspension and like the vertical zipper much more than the one on the 3DAP that flaps wide open. I find myself using it more and storing quick items right behind it, than any other zipper on the pack. I can't say enough good things about it and can tell you that it can fill a lot of roles, big and small. I'm sure the Tarryall would be just as good with a little more room. I just chose the 14'r because it's a bit more sleek.

Felix40

WKR
I really like having a solid pack frame with me all the time. I carried two nice bucks out this year and I have a hard time seeing how the 14r could handle that much weight.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I really like having a solid pack frame with me all the time. I carried two nice bucks out this year and I have a hard time seeing how the 14r could handle that much weight.
I carried about 40lbs of de-boned hog and the 20lbs of gear that I had with me, some lashed to the outside and bottom but it was very comfy. I come from the Marines though where we carried 80lbs on our shoulders for weeks at a time though, so I'm not quite up to speed with all the limitations people are putting on all these high tech packs nowadays. My NICE frame was rated for 100lb plus loads, and I don't know if it's my skinny body type or what but with the smaller, approx 40 - 50lb weight that I will typically carry on family backpacking trips, the 14'r is a more comfortable ride. If you put it into perspective, the 14'r has as much lumbar pad as any pack out there, stays that run the full length of the pack that don't flex, great ventilation, on par with any frame. The belt is thin, and the pack is built as strong as any pack I've put on. I just don't see the limitations, especially not with whitetail, unless you are carrying out the whole deer, but I wouldn't do that with any pack.

Felix40

WKR
Yeah I'm talking basically whole deer. One was field dressed and one was quartered. First load was around 120 and second probably 100. It saves a lot of time in my situation. If I'm 1.5-2 miles from the truck I can just put the deer in the pack and go. Then it's quicker and cleaner to cut my steaks off at the house. If I had to go further I would debone but I still feel like I would want the bigger frame because then I'd be carrying it longer.

Just depends on the situation as to what works best for certain people.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP....No, the Woodsman would be a great pack, but the 14'r would be a lighter, simpler, less expensive way to go, and maybe better if you don't plan on hauling heavy loads with it often. It will handle a load though.

Of course it has less capacity than the Woodsman, but side or spotting scope pockets would take it passed the capacity of the Woodsman and cost less than a Duplex frame. The belt on the 14'r will handle any of the belt pouches fine.

If all I did was pack out elk, yes I would probably go for the external frame....but unfortunately I'm not even packing out one a year. I get to hunt whitetail and hogs on family's private property in Texas so I pack in and pack the meat out, mostly for training, and I've done so with three hogs, approx 150lb, kept about 40 to 50 lbs of meat and the 14'r has done great. Maybe I tolerate roughing it more than some, but I've had my fair share of suspension systems on my back. I haven't killed a whitetail since 2012, but I wouldn't hesitate. I don't make enough nowadays to buy the Duplex and multiple packs so I'm hitting on that middle ground the best I can.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I'm talking basically whole deer. One was field dressed and one was quartered. First load was around 120 and second probably 100. It saves a lot of time in my situation. If I'm 1.5-2 miles from the truck I can just put the deer in the pack and go. Then it's quicker and cleaner to cut my steaks off at the house. If I had to go further I would debone but I still feel like I would want the bigger frame because then I'd be carrying it longer.

Just depends on the situation as to what works best for certain people.
The last successful elk hunt that I went on, I carried so much meat on my back that ended up with nerve damage in my left leg. I carried it more than 8 miles, through downed timber and you name it. I'm just not doing that anymore, and if anything, the 14'r limits me from doing that again. I'd rather make multiple trips than do that again. I'm not sleeping out of camp anymore either. I leave camp early and return late, with as little gear as needed so that I can pack out a 75lb quarter on my first trip if needed. I've got some more figuring out to do but part of it starts with choosing to take a shot based on location and circumstances.

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
All you guys saying the 14'r is perfect for my needs are making my day, as I ordered the 14'r a few days ago. Felix, I agree about hauling a whole whitetail...I'd not do that. I'm with Frito in that my days of hauling 100+ are over. For a long time I took pride in hauling moose and huge loads, but I'm past that and even on a mountain hunt, I try to stay below 100 and I do have a Duplex and an EMRII and CP for that stuff.

I'm eventually getting back into Midwest whitetails and turkeys (haven't hunted either since 1998!) and really enjoying getting back into mountain small game, and both of my Duplex rigs just don't fit those roles and need a smaller bag than the EMRII, but more than just a CP like I run on day hunts now. The Woodsman really does call to me, but I think this 14'r really is a better fit, and Frito hit it on the head with price, SS pockets and capacity being spot on. It's due to ship on like the 10th or something like that.

Thanks guys.