12X50s: MeoStar B1 Plus vs Maven B.6

I can find almost nothing about the upgraded version of the Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus HDs.

I've Googled and scoured the interwebs. I have found a few mentions of both optics on birdforums. We have a review of the B.6 12s here on Rokslide. I simply cannot swing $2900 or more on EL Swaros. I already own 15X56 SLC Swaros. I don't pull them out as often as I did a few years ago. Like many...I have flip flopped on glassing concepts. I've run 10s from a tripod along with a swap to a Spotting Scope.

And I've run just the 15s in the field. Hamstrung a good bit running them from a chest pocket between glassing spots.

Whether 12s fit for me is irrelevant- I want another optic. I shoot LOTS of archery shoots and 12s could be very handy seeing if my shots are breaking the rings or not. When I hunt I pack a tripod and glassing pad 90% of the time. I simply LOVE to glass.

Anyone out there have first hand experience with either optic? More so the Meoptas. I've pinged a few guys who have, or are selling the non HD or Gen 1-ish Meopta 12s.

I own the 10X42s Meopta B1 Plus bins. Have a Love-Dislike relationship with them. They do NOT work well at twilight. Light transmission is only 88% per their specs. I feel it's very noticeable. When the sun is out and the range is "moderate" the image is fantastic.

Just stuck attempting to make the final decision. I have ZERO experience with Maven.

Hoodie

WKR
Where the Meopta shines is CA control. If someone was particularly CA sensitive I'd point them in that direction. Otherwise there isn't any reason to carry the extra weight/bulk of the Meopta as far as I'm concerned.

The Maven is a little brighter (not an earth shattering difference) and more neutral in color bias. It is much smaller and handier.

OP
J
Thank you. Been difficult to get any feedback on the 12X50 B1 Plus. Looking back through classifieds it seems a decent handful of the B1s have been traded and sold back n forth. All seemed to have liked them...yet sold them.

Maven is out of the 12s on Loaner program to try.

I do enjoy Japanese engineering in Toyotas. My Vortex are Japanese. Handful of my riflescopes. Might be hard for me to choose Japan over Czech tho. Just my own personal thing.

Plus the Meoptas LOOK like SLCs...which mentally skews me that way

EdP

WKR
I have the meopta 12x50 meostar b1 plus binos. Overall I think they are very good, but fifty yards is about as close as mine will focus for me. For your archery shot application that might not be close enough.

Nethero

WKR
I have the meopta 12x50 meostar b1 plus binos. Overall I think they are very good, but fifty yards is about as close as mine will focus for me. For your archery shot application that might not be close enough.
You might want to get yours serviced. These should have a close focus of less than 4 yards. HERE.

I believe the close focus specification is the same for the B1, B1.1, & B1 Plus.

OP
J
I spent a few hours glass off a tripod this week at sunset. Same story. In bright sunlight the Meopta B1 Plus HD I have in 10X42 are nice. I am comparing them against the same clapped out, beat to fug 2013 Vortex Viper HDs. Yea it's 10X50 vs 10X42. But I would think the Meopta would stomp them. Not so. In sunny situations glassing out over a mile or more...they are pretty well tied. After the sun sets glassing deer in ball high grass fields....the Meopta are very dim and grainy and just difficult. I have an easy extra 20 min of glassing with the Vortex. Just overall really gives me pause to invest in Meopta again.

I am considering going to the far other end of the spectrum and slumming Maven. After a nice phone convo they stated that they will accept a return in As New condition up to 2 weeks after purchase. I'll know in one hour if I like them or not. I live rural and can glass off the deck for many miles. Great test scenario.

I have never looked through Abbe Koeing prisms. Kinda scared. I didn't realize Maven made a B5 in some bomber 56s. I may try a 12X56.....which are very unpopular. There is nothing out there on them. Must be reason.

axeforce6

WKR
I spent a few hours glass off a tripod this week at sunset. Same story. In bright sunlight the Meopta B1 Plus HD I have in 10X42 are nice. I am comparing them against the same clapped out, beat to fug 2013 Vortex Viper HDs. Yea it's 10X50 vs 10X42. But I would think the Meopta would stomp them. Not so. In sunny situations glassing out over a mile or more...they are pretty well tied. After the sun sets glassing deer in ball high grass fields....the Meopta are very dim and grainy and just difficult. I have an easy extra 20 min of glassing with the Vortex. Just overall really gives me pause to invest in Meopta again.

I am considering going to the far other end of the spectrum and slumming Maven. After a nice phone convo they stated that they will accept a return in As New condition up to 2 weeks after purchase. I'll know in one hour if I like them or not. I live rural and can glass off the deck for many miles. Great test scenario.

I have never looked through Abbe Koeing prisms. Kinda scared. I didn't realize Maven made a B5 in some bomber 56s. I may try a 12X56.....which are very unpopular. There is nothing out there on them. Must be reason.
Have you seen the B.6 in 10X50 adn 12X50? I have the 10X50's and they are very impressive.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I can find almost nothing about the upgraded version of the Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus HDs.

I’m not sure that it transferrs to the 12x’s, however I have had several sets of Swaro 15x56’s and the Meopta B1 plus 15x56mm’s side by side quite a bit, and I would choose the Meopta without question.

In less than 15min I offered @PNWGATOR to trade my Swaros straight even for his Meoptas.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have the Meopta B1.1 in 10x42 and the B1 plus 15's. I love my 10's but I've only compared them with other glass in camp and they blow them away. Neither were high end so it's hard to give a comparison.
I just picked up the 15's a couple months ago and these things are unreal. We sit out back and watch antelope from long distances and the clarity is fantastic. I don't have a trained eye so I can't give you all the optic terms but the 15's are great. Can't wait to use them hunting this year.
I use my 10's a lot as you can see.

B6FEF9BE-0908-4AC4-BD44-828772A76609.jpeg

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cabela's branded Meopta 12x50's, they're probably a couple updates back at this point. They've sold a few pairs letting people look through them at matches and hunting. I would slightly prefer either Swaro 12x, but definitely not enough to justify the cost difference for me. I actually prefer mine to Swaro 15's, but it's close.

I love my Maven rangefinder and like them as a company, but having looked through many of their higher power binos I've never found them to be close in IQ.

Additionally, when Bass Pro bought Cabelas they canceled their lifetime warranty. I needed the hinge tightened after a few years and Meopta stepped up and helped me out despite having no obligation.

I recently got try a set of Maven 12x50s at a NRL Hunter match and thought I could see little details a bit better. Didn't pull the trigger on them there, but got a set off here a few weeks later. I was comparing them to my 12x50 Vortex Razors (Made in Japan) and the set I got off here I couldn't see any improvement in and they didn't fit my hands/eyes as well. They were so closely tied optically though, I wouldn't have a problem running them.