12BW Kaibab Early hunt

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to see if anyone has hunted the 12bw Kaibab early rifle hunt. I would love to connect via the phone to discuss your experience and any info you would be willing to share!

I have hunted the 12bw late tag, but I've have heard the early is a totally different experience.

id prefer to talk on the phone while we look at maps, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Joel

OP
backcountrybutcher

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a pic of my buck from the late hunt a few years back. Id really like to top it on the early this year :)

51C87ACE-C7CE-40F8-9D5A-9E57EAFA883F.JPG

Mpmoody15

FNG
My buddies have had this tag three times in five years. I accompanied them on a few scouting trips and made it up for opening day one year. I'd guess most deer are taken in close proximity to the road. There are plenty of deer and you have a shot at good bucks, similar to your late hunt.

Edit: I'm saving points for a the late hunt so I'll be interested to see how your early hunt compares to the late hunt.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
That's a nice buck. Was the previous late hunt guided or DIY? Early is very different than late. Biggest issue is double the tags in the unit. But most of those will fill with deer by the road.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at this hunt also for me and my boy. We have 11 points NR. Would be interested in chatting with experienced Kaibab folks. We aren't interested in waiting for the late hunt.
It doesn’t look like 12b is any easier for a NR to draw than 12aw these days….

Point creep on those hunts is crazy. It wasn’t that long ago that even NR’s were looking at 8 points for an early hunt.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn’t look like 12b is any easier for a NR to draw than 12aw these days….

Point creep on those hunts is crazy. It wasn’t that long ago that even NR’s were looking at 8 points for an early hunt.
Poor fawn recruitment due to the drought has caused the Fish Cops to cut tags on all the Kaibab units. Good on them for acting…. That’s caused draw odds to drop

OP
backcountrybutcher

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
Lots more apps for 12aw than 12B/Bw but still my odds were in the single digits for the hunt i drew.

OP
backcountrybutcher

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
The early hunts can a total bust, really good, or somewhere in-between. The late hunts much for consistent from what i continue to hear. Here is Randy N hunting 12AW in 2017