100gr or 125gr for elk?

scpaisley

FNG
I'm shooting 100gr right now, I don't see any issues with them for elk but I have not bow hunted elk yet so I thought I'd ask you all for advice.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Head weight alone is really irrelevant, its overall arrow weight and arrow spine that you need to consider. Increasing your head weight from 100 to 125 will weaken your spine and will impact arrow flight. On elk or any animal, as close to perfect arrow flight is way more important to penetration than 25 grains of point weight. Meaning, a well placed arrow, flying near perfect, with a 100 grain head, is going far out-penetrate an improperly tuned arrow with a 125gr head. Moral of the story, if you are looking to bump up your arrow weight for elk, you have to step back and look at the whole arrow, not just throw more weight on the tip.

Oldpuck

FNG
100 grn for me for elk. I think that is enough.

But son went to an 125 grn after a shoulder blade shot that didn’t take the elk down at 50 yds. Arrow busted at tip with hardly any blood trail. Searched two days concentric circles No blood no elk

Beendare

WKR
I'm in the camp that more steel on the working end of your arrow is a good thing. A good solid BH....and I shoot 150's.

But really....its the shot that counts...its when you accidentally make a marginal shot the bigger stronger BH is an advantage.

_______

87TT

WKR
Head weight alone is really irrelevant, its overall arrow weight and arrow spine that you need to consider. Increasing your head weight from 100 to 125 will weaken your spine and will impact arrow flight. On elk or any animal, as close to perfect arrow flight is way more important to penetration than 25 grains of point weight. Meaning, a well placed arrow, flying near perfect, with a 100 grain head, is going far out-penetrate an improperly tuned arrow with a 125gr head. Moral of the story, if you are looking to bump up your arrow weight for elk, you have to step back and look at the whole arrow, not just throw more weight on the tip.
^^^^^This.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone else. Arrow spine, flight, weight, and an overall well tuned arrow and bow are more important. Especially placement of the shot!