100 grain Barnes TSX enough for hogs?

this thread is funny.

3-4 litters a year, 1-13 piglets per litter. first litter will have their own piglets on the ground around 9 months from time they are born.

you do not need a 375 H&H to kill a hog. My 10 year old daughter is over 50 with a 22-250 and 6.5 CM.

ethics…. well I’m going to hell. we dug a pit and buried 62 last week,

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
this thread is funny.

3-4 litters a year, 1-13 piglets per litter. first litter will have their own piglets on the ground around 9 months from time they are born.

you do not need a 375 H&H to kill a hog. My 10 year old daughter is over 50 with a 22-250 and 6.5 CM.

ethics…. well I’m going to hell. we dug a pit and buried 62 last week,
Dear Sir, I have the equipment and time to help you with your problem. I am also handy around the ranch. :D

wytx

WKR
Yep, lots of interesting comments.
The shield can be problematic but mainly bow hunting. Dressed a few hogs with broadheads behind the shoulder embedded in the animal. Lots of bullets lodged in skulls too, mainly 22 caliber.
They can run a bit but good shot placed behind the shoulder is just fine.

Thread has me looking forward to our hog hunt coming up end of Feb. Hoping the family hasn't run them all off before we get down to hunt. Might run some hog traps too while down.

Rich M

WKR
That explains a lot. I can't tell you the number of hogs I've shot in the past 22yrs of vermin reduction/hunting and not one in the head.

We have plenty of them down here - just not that interested. I've shot about 12-15 and that's enough.

Earhole/head/CNS, etc is always the best bet no matter the caliber it's just easier and don't have to crawl through brush looking for them. If you can't shoot a hog in the head you're probably gonna miss the shoulders anyway. LOL at telling people an earhole shot is unethical.

Rich M

WKR
Earhole/head/CNS, etc is always the best bet no matter the caliber it's just easier and don't have to crawl through brush looking for them. If you can't shoot a hog in the head you're probably gonna miss the shoulders anyway. LOL at telling people an earhole shot is unethical.
95% of hunters cant call a shot on a target, how are they gonna hit a pig in the head? LoL!

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
How you don't want it to go. It's like he was dead but forgot to lay down!

IW17

FNG
Just got back from Georgia. 81 pigs killed in 5 days. Every one with 556/223. People over think the caliber/bullet question. As long as your not using frangible ammo or something designed for small predators, they'll die just fine. Now admittedly, the running pigs took a second or third sometimes to drop.

dont worry apparently I was told the other day a high shoulder was unethical on deer also. I cant phathom why.

Yea they work just fine. This was a shoulder shot. Shoot ‘em in the head when you can, if not no worries either.
824A7473-514F-4241-959B-9DD1FC7AE3AF.jpeg

Attachments

• BA9D8015-900C-4B3B-9BF6-08A702DDDDAD.jpeg
    BA9D8015-900C-4B3B-9BF6-08A702DDDDAD.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 9

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking for other monolithic options, Hammer Bullets make several options in .257 and they’re usually pretty accurate. Having said that, I’ve used the 100gr ttsx’s for years and have zero complaints.

Azone

WKR
CNS too risky? Hmmm spend some time at the range and learn how to stalk. I just crept up on 50 hogs in a field a week and a half ago and plugged one in the head with a mono bullet at about 170 yards. It’s amazing what wearing a black sweatshirt and using cattle to your advantage can do. The pig had instant stiff legs and the show was over at the shot. If I would have had a AR and a depredation permit, shit would have gotten wild real quick.
I’ve also spent lots of time looking for “double lunged” hogs that ended up being got shot. Shot placement is crucial with pigs. If you can anchor them, you don’t have to track them.

I've shot countless pigs with all sorts of rifles and bows. The majority of them have been with a .223 or .222 using 55gn Sierra SPBT projectiles, but a big proportion have been .222 using 40gn Nosler BT's. A lot of that stuff was culling from a vehicle in the spotlight. I've shot plenty with my wife's .243 using 90gn Tikka factory loads, .308 using 130gn HP and various 150gn lead projectiles, etc.

I'd be perfectly happy to shoot pigs with a .25-06 and 100gn Barnes bullets.

I just loaded up a bunch of 80gr ttsx for my 6 creed. Hoping to use them later this spring down south. Heard good things.