100 grain Barnes TSX enough for hogs?

Runa541

FNG
Hey Guys
This is my first Rokslide post so go easy on me lol
I’ll be headed to California in a few months for a hog hunt.
As it’s a lead free state so I wanted to hear from y’all about whether 100 grain TSX out of a 25-06 is enough. It’s pretty hard to find any lead free ammo for 25-06, so any suggestions are welcome.
Where I hunted last year shots were 200 yards and in, but there was an opportunity at 325 yards that I passed up.

Azone

WKR
I’ve used the 100 ttsx with great results out of my 257 wby. Head shoot them or break both shoulders and they are done on the spot.

Rich M

WKR
Yes. I know a guy who hot a 600# hog w 85 gr 243.

Make your shot count, dont worry about the “shield”.

You have been given good advice above on shot selection. Sows can be killed with a good lung shot no problem. The problem with boars is you rarely get a blood trail on a chest shot. Shoot the ear hole, no tracking, no wasted meat.

I have hunted coastal CA and killed a few good ones with a 6mm Remington, with lighter bullets. Don't buy into the "earhole shot" BS. Just shoot them behind the shoulder like any other game animal. I switched over to a .375 H&H with 270 grain Barnes solid copper and it killed them exactly the same.

I have hunted coastal CA and killed a few good ones with a 6mm Remington, with lighter bullets. Don't buy into the "earhole shot" BS. Just shoot them behind the shoulder like any other game animal. I switched over to a .375 H&H with 270 grain Barnes solid copper and it killed them exactly the same.
The whole idea with that "BS" shot, is to hit the CNS and or the base of the brain. I've killed over 100 hogs doing just that. Every single one of those shots was a 1 shot DRT kill. The animals went straight to the ground, dead. Now, I get that it's a smaller target than most are comfortable with, so for many, behind the shoulder provides a much larger kill zone.

The whole idea with that "BS" shot, is to hit the CNS and or the base of the brain. I've killed over 100 hogs doing just that. Every single one of those shots was a 1 shot DRT kill. The animals went straight to the ground, dead. Now, I get that it's a smaller target than most are comfortable with, so for many, behind the shoulder provides a much larger kill zone.
Giving advice to earhole shoot even a nuisance animal such as a common pig, a feral animal in most CA cases, results in lots of poorly placed shots and wounded, suffering animals. If you need to shoot a hog behind the ear to kill it quickly, something is wrong. Bad advice. I have found many dead, emaciated hogs with bad head shots. The ranch next to ours guided "hunts" and CA hogs travel 20 miles in a day. It's not Texas.

Giving advice to earhole shoot even a nuisance animal such as a common pig, a feral animal in most CA cases, results in lots of poorly placed shots and wounded, suffering animals. If you need to shoot a hog behind the ear to kill it quickly, something is wrong. Bad advice. I have found many dead, emaciated hogs with bad head shots. The ranch next to ours guided "hunts" and CA hogs travel 20 miles in a day. It's not Texas.
All of those well over 100 hogs I killed were in Ca. The fact is that if a person is more than capable of such accurate shooting, those shots are exceptionally effective, a d not a single thing is wrong with it. But of course, if you are not capable of such accuracy, then perhaps there would be something wrong with it. And, of course, it would be bad advice IYNSHO. But each individual, should be aware of their own limitations and act accordingly in a responsible manner.

All of those well over 100 hogs I killed were in Ca. The fact is that if a person is more than capable of such accurate shooting, those shots are exceptionally effective, a d not a single thing is wrong with it. But of course, if you are not capable of such accuracy, then perhaps there would be something wrong with it. And, of course, it would be bad advice IYNSHO. But each individual, should be aware of their own limitations and act accordingly in a responsible manner.
Whoa, take it easy with the accusations about my accuracy. I would say 100 hogs is a good start, but it's not really that many for people that ranch cattle coastally. Myself included. I do know that if you shot 100 hogs you did not kill all of them instantly with an earhole shot. otherwise no need to boast. I do know that advising an average ethical hunter to make that shot is unwise. No hog, however big, never ran more than 50 yards with a good lung shot. Headshot animals do run into town and die in front of some coffee shop and ruin future hunting laws in CA. I left CA because only idiots remain there. No need to get upset, I shot them way back before they were a cash cow, destination game animal for CA. Take care now.

There is no valid reason to call me and other Ca resident hunters idiots.

Yes, I killed over 100 hogs in the CNS, or as you seem to define it, a earshot. However, I've killed well over those, over 100 CNS killed hogs. I'll continue to go for CNS shots as long as I get presented with them. After all, I much prefer to see them drop to the ground right where I hit them, rather than having to drive to the coffeeshop to pick them up.

Rich M

WKR
Most FL hog hunters mean CNS shots but they actually say earhole and that's what folks aim for instead of the CNS area behind the head.

Know a guy who tried it at 30 yards this year and blew the things jaw off. The angle he had was good for thru the lungs and out the offside shoulder kind of DRT. If he wasn't aiming at the earhole he would have popped it in the back of the head... But he aimed for the earhole and probably hit it but head angle was such that bullet tore thru jaw. Aiming for exit would have been a better technique.

To get into it about accuracy when trying to shoot a small target on a moving animal, did they really miss or did the critter move in the second or so it took to squeeze the trigger?

Last edited:

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
Most FL hog hunters say CNS shots but they actually say earhole and that's what folks aim for instead of the CNS area behind the head.

Know a guy who tried it at 30 yards this year and blew the things jaw off. The angle he had was good for thru the lungs and out the offside shoulder kind of DRT. If he wasn't aiming at the earhole he would have popped it in the back of the head... But he aimed for the earhole and probably hit it but head angle was such that bullet tore thru jaw. Aiming for exit would have been a better technique.

To get into it about accuracy when trying to shoot a small target on a moving animal, did they really miss or did the critter move in the second or so it took to squeeze the trigger?
That explains a lot. I can't tell you the number of hogs I've shot in the past 22yrs of vermin reduction/hunting and not one in the head.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler E-tip and Federal Trophy copper are both rounds that I have used in my 25-06 in the past 2 years. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more boxes of either of those two rounds. Just something else to put on your radar.