10 day solo Kodiak goat hunt

Broomd

WKR
Great stuff, Greg. We've had some tough-assed Kodiak hunts, but this looks like one epic torrent and adventure. It always amazes me how it can "always be worse!"
Well-done with a great goat and even better memories. When you hang those mountain boots up for the last time, this hunt will never be forgotten.
Was that Terror lake? I thought your boy had drawn Terror...

OP
AK Troutbum
Thanks man, not Terror, but the same tag, 474. Hopefully my boots (and myself), still have a few miles left in them. I can't afford to buy to many more $400 mountain boots, but I will if I have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great story and pics. Congrats on the goat. I was on afognak enduring that same storm. First time out in my new SO 4 man. I was impressed handled it well.

OP
AK Troutbum
I posted the first attempt goat shot fail on You Tube, so thought I would try and post up a link here for those that would like to see some good goat footage. I was attempting to shoot him in the neck and spine him, in the hopes of anchoring him in his tracks, didn't quite work out as planned. It was all done on my iPhone using a Phoneskope adapter and Swaro 20-60x80 HD spotter.
Kodiak goat epic fail - YouTube

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
That footage is incredible!

Thanks. I have yet to get a kill on video and thought that this would be it, but obviously not. I am definitely liking the quality footage that I'm getting with this set up, guess I'll just have to keep trying.

OP
AK Troutbum
Did you get the feeding issue with the rifle figured out?

No, I haven't. I haven't even had it out of the safe since getting it cleaned up and put away. I've been working a lot the last few weeks, but I have several days off here coming up and I think I'll try a few things that Stid suggested.

slvrslngr

WKR
Gotcha, just curious. I'm hoping to acquire a Kimber in the future and am filing away info. Hope you figure it out. Neat video BTW, love the billy's reaction, "huh, WTF was that?"!

Can't wait to here your story! Awesome goat!
Please list your gear when you write it up.
Thanks
Mark

OP
AK Troutbum
Can't wait to here your story! Awesome goat!
Please list your gear when you write it up.
Thanks
Mark

Thanks. The story starts towards the bottom of page one. I also listed my gear somewhere in here, but I can't remember where.

That was an impressive story, thanks for sharing all of the details. Congratulations on the beautiful billy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

300bee

FNG
Great story and really nice Billy.
Congratulations on your very successful adventure.

Jerry

A couple of the pictures, the one with the gray looking puffs behind the goat a d the next one where the goat is looking away towards where the gray puffs were, were both stills from video footage. I wish I could post up some video footage that I took with my iPhone. I have some really good stuff, but can't figure out how to share it.

I'll have to look into the Leukotape, thanks for the suggestion.

Open up a GMAIL account it's free. Then you can share that awesome adventure on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

titus383

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome story and footage. It looks like you may have taken a little off of the top with that shot! Thanks for sharing.