1 week for non hunting vacation

Mosby

WKR
If you had one week to take a vacation with a young child (7) from western PA where would you go?
Option1: Take him down to North Myrtle Beach, SC. Specifically, Cherry Grove Beach. Never met a kid that didn't like beaches. Cherry Grove is 20+ miles north of Myrtle Beach.
Option 2: Universal Studios in Orlando.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
My kids just enjoy the one on one time and being the center of my attention. If they want to go swimming at 6am, let's go. If they want to roast marshmallows at noon, OK. If they are starting to get bored, run into town and go mini golfing or similar.

I learned that it's not always best to ask them where they want to go. Too often, especially at that age, they have no idea and come up with the first thing to come to mind, or they come up with something that is not a great idea (my son wanted to spend the week at a small waterpark in the middle of no where because he had seen a commercial for it that day). Find someplace that you know they will have some interest in, and has a good variety so they won't get bored.

Beanx033

FNG
I have two young kids 2.5 and 9mo and we did San Diego. Lots to do - zoo, safari park, sea world, La Jolla beach for sea lions, and USS Midway was amazingly kid friendly.

elkyinzer

WKR
Here's some regional ideas. Many of which I did growing up, so you're going to get my interests. No clues about your budget or your interests, so here you go.

Tour-de-baseball Ohio: Within a few hours you have the Reds, Indians, and Tigers. Take an Erie charter trip for fishing. Do touristy museum things in all of the above cities. Columbus zoo is world class. Cincy has a nice zoo and aquarium. Various amusement parks, Kings Island, Cedar Point. For less city-focused stuff you can hit up the Erie islands and various little attractions along the Erie coast. Hocking hills isn't a bad area to spend a few days hiking and camping. I wouldn't want to live in Ohio, but I've had some really good times there.

Tour-de-baseball Delmarva: Similar to above but bigger cities, more traffic, but more "city stuff" to do also. Within a couple hours you have the O's, Nat's and Phils and can mix in the museum and various other touristy stuff in all 3 cities. For kid-friendly fishing charters there is lots in the Chesapeake. Beaches in NJ, DE, MD are a short jaunt. Mountains in western Maryland and WV aren't far away if you want to mix in some camping/more rural fun.

Camping/outdoorsy areas large enough to spend a week without dying of boredom particularly if you enjoy fishing, but fishing can be rough in mid-summer around here. I would definitely look to June if you want to fish. Except for Erie. Erie fishing is better in July/August: Raystown, Deep Creek, Kinzua, Finger Lakes, Pymatuning, Cooks Forest/Kinzua, Erie/Presque Isle. If you and your kid are into camping you can do anything from backcountry to renting a cabin, RV, or houseboat. Also dozens of smaller state parks too numerous to mention , more suited to a weekend trip or acceptance that you'll see all there is to see in a couple days but you could string a few of those together for a week.

Last edited:
We camp, fish, he's not totally into the outdoors, came from a single mother household before me and never really had anyone to take him outdoors. He's getting more into it. I thought about taking him on a fishing trip someone place on the coast.
Outer banks in June. Do a Gulf Stream trip off shore. Next day do a half day trip inshore trolling. He won’t get tired of the inshore trip for sure. He might get a little shy on the Gulf Stream trip due to how hard the yellowfin and black eyed tuna fight. Hatteras inlet or Oregano inlet are the places I’d charter from. Plus There’s a ton of beach activities on the northern beaches of the outer banks. Pm if you’d like references for good charter captains.

bdg848

WKR
In high school I went on an off shore fishing day trip in FL. It was $80 or something and on a big(ish) boat with other people on board. We went on a weekday so it wasn't too busy. It was a four hour day and caught lots of cool fish I'd never have caught in IL. It was pretty active fishing the entire time and would be great for a kid.

my kids are just a smidge younger, but absolutely love surf fishing. Go to the outer banks, one of the SC Islands, or the gulf coast of Florida. There will be enough touristy things to do if he gets bored of the sand and fishing. bottom fishing on a head boat for a day can produce some great action too, typically on smaller fish.

ODB

WKR
Don't mention Edisto in public, only half the state of Ohio knows about it, the other half is already in Charleston.

That’s why I said England.

I spent a lot of time in Xxxxxxxx, XX and Xxxxx Xxxxxx, XX and would recommend them to anyone.

Actually England wasn’t a joke. Kids like castles and kings and knights and armor and trains and boats and whatnot. My daughter loved it.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
Road trip through Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, stopping at every museum that we could along the way. We did this with our son when he was 10 and he asked to go on the same trip again when he was 14.

I think a trip to the beach with fishing, snorkeling, etc would be pretty fun for a kid. Most kids will have fun just digging around in the sand.

Rob5589

WKR
I have two young kids 2.5 and 9mo and we did San Diego. Lots to do - zoo, safari park, sea world, La Jolla beach for sea lions, and USS Midway was amazingly kid friendly.
SD is awesome. Our kids love it there. I was going to suggest it too but, CA doesn't get much love on the Slide🤣

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Shenandoah Valley. You have tons of trout fishing streams, caverns, Monticello, AT trail for hiking/camping, Natural Bridge Zoo, Washington and Jefferson National Forest, whitewater rafting, Civil War battlefields, Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive…to name a few.