1/2x28 Threaded 30 Cal Rifles - Suppressor Horror Stories

The internet seems to have two camps. People who run a suppressor on 1/2x28 threaded 30 cal rifles with no issues and people, including gunsmiths and manufacturers, who say it's a bad idea. I am only interested in two responses to this thread:

Response 1.) "I run a suppressor on a (insert 30 cal cartridge) threaded 1/2x28 with (insert approximate round count) with no issues whatsoever"

Response 2.) "I ran a suppressor on a (insert 30 cal cartridge) threaded 1/2x28 and here's the absolute mess (insert story on how your barrel exploded, how your suppressor broke off, etc) that followed"

To steal a line from Form, I am NOT interested in "I think, I feel, I heard". For the love of all that is holy, please, PLEASE do not tell me what TBAC has said about this subject or how much meat is left on a barrel. Seen it. Read it. I'm aware of the naysayers. Please only respond with your success story, but what I'm REALLY interested in are the horror stories. Are they out there? Or are we dealing with another wives' tale similar to how a 223 can't blow through an elk shoulder?

Last edited:

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I'll play..... I have several 6.5, 7mm & 30cal rifles threaded 1/2X28. I usually run SiCo Omega 30 & 36, Hybrid & Saker (all have interchangeable end caps). Been running them this way for years. No issues.

As a side not, my friend accidentally found that you can run 223 end caps and 243 & 6mm. Found that out 2 years ago and now anything up to including 6mm gets SiCo 223 end caps. 6.5 and bigger gets a 30cal end cap

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shot a 308 for awhile with a basic thread adapter since the barrel had come from the factory threaded for 1/2x28. I never had any issues. I also have a 300wm with 1/2x28 threads (Kimber so thin barrrel). I’ve shot it a bit with the silencer/adapter and not had an issue.

When I was getting my barrel worked over by a gunsmith for 5/4x24 direct threading, he mentioned that it also easy to just use adapters which makes me think it’s really not a big deal, not a safety issue anyways. Bless you drop the rifle in such a way that the base of the threads gets damaged where the metal is thin.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I've got several hundred, probably closer to a thousand rounds through 30 cal. varminter 2.0 and 3.0. Using the adapter with 1/2x28 threads on several different rifles. Largest caliber is a 7 rem mag with no problems.

Geewhiz

WKR
My buddy has a 7mm tikka threaded 1/2 x28 that he uses a 30 cal tbac ultra 9 on with no issues. I have personal experience with this setup so not hearsay.

TheHammer

WKR
I run a 1/2-32 on a 7lb 308. Considered 28 but rather the extra pitch. Barrel materials are not equal obviously. Let us know what you are planning.

BjornF16

WKR
I bought a second hand Sako 300 WSM threaded 1/2-28 for a brake. I’ve removed the brake and have shot with my Omega, but have not been in the field hunting with that setup.

I plan on cutting it down from 24” to 21” and running an adapter to 5/8”-24.

FWIW, here is a post from TBAC employee on the subject:

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve shot my 1/2-28 Cooper 280 AI with a 30 cal suppressor with no issue. Killed two bucks last weekend with such.

I also just got my Kimber 358 Win back from Karl Kampfeld and he saw no issue whatsoever threading it 1/2-28.

Think about all the threaded 9mm pistols…1/2-28, good bit bigger hole than .30 cal.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve shot my 1/2-28 Cooper 280 AI with a 30 cal suppressor with no issue. Killed two bucks last weekend with such.

I also just got my Kimber 358 Win back from Karl Kampfeld and he saw no issue whatsoever threading it 1/2-28.

Think about all the threaded 9mm pistols…1/2-28, good bit bigger hole than .30 cal.
Now you’ve done it!…I have a BLR in .358 Win that I’ve been contemplating on suppressing.

Did Karl put an adapter onto the 1/2-28 threads?

ChrisAU

WKR
Now you’ve done it!…I have a BLR in .358 Win that I’ve been contemplating on suppressing.

Did Karl put an adapter onto the 1/2-28 threads?

No sir

Here’s a pic right now ha. I got the protector from Hughes Precision and sent it to Karl with the rifle. Not enough meat on the barrel to do anything bigger than 1/2”.

83F17FE8-9C06-4FDC-B08E-8366EC1A284D.jpeg

OP
MTMeatHunter
A few good examples in here of no issues with a suppressor on a 30 cal rifle with 1/2” threads. I’d like to keep the tally going with either good or bad. What else do we have?

ahlgringo

WKR
Sako 75 300WSM threaded 1/2x28. No issues with SiCo Omega. I do have the ASR brake on as well. About 250 rds thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my Tikka in 308 threaded. I just sighted it in with a supressor. Also I told my gun smith about the naysayers and he said "who said that" like he wanted to strangle them and I said "people" he goes "I've been doing this for 20 years never heard of anyone having a problem".

OP
MTMeatHunter
I started this thread in the hopes of finding some actual stories of issues, but in all my reading here and elsewhere, I have yet to read about any issues from someone who has actually done it. Only theories about wall thickness and thread roots from naysayers 🤷‍♂️. Not saying issues haven’t happened, but I can’t find any evidence.

I’ll add that I’ve decided to go 1/2” on my 300WM for my suppressor.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
TBAC stated that their concern they had was with falling or dropping rifle and bending with 1/2. I would imagine that is pretty rare.

I have 2 rifles with 1/2-28. The shoulder is pretty insufficient to run suppressor up to on pencil barrels. I leave 1/2-5/8 adapters on both rifles partly so I don't have to change cover on my suppressor when going between other rifles.

I know its not 30 cal but I used to shoot a 7RUM on 1/2x28 I was burning over 100gr of powder and shooting 160s at over 3500fps. I never had an issue with accuracy or any type of suppressor issues. Being a part-time gunsmith the most important part is making sure the threads are concentric to the bore, a sloppy thread job will lead to baffle strikes or a blown up suppressor. One way to test concentricity is to put a properly sized range rod and bushing in the barrel with the suppressor on and make sure you have proper clearance on all sides.

xdeano1

FNG
It's no different than threading a pencil barrel for 1/2x28 and running a break... no one is having issues with breaks blowing up because of that. It's more of an operator error. The suppressor can have an effect on the barrel harmonics and the fact that you're adding weight to the end. Impact will be different, but sight in with it on, zero and forget. Just find a good gunsmith because the tolerances need to be on. Have them use a class 3 ring gauge to check the threads.

Here is a simple method to check what threads you can get away with. Barrels need to have an min OD of 0.600" for a 1/2x28. Min OD for a 5/8x24 is 0.725". This will allow you to have enough meat to shoulder a can/break. This is good up to 30cal. when you step up to 338 you'll need a 5/8x24. 375 go 3/4x24.

xdeano