Kodiak canvas flex bow or cabin tent

sasquatch

WKR
Thinking of upgrading to a canvas tent from my cabelas guide series. Mostly looking at Kodiak flex bow series or the cabin. Was wondering how they hold up in high winds if you was to be caught in a storm one night?

Brendan

WKR
Can't comment on high wind - but mine held up to steady and heavy rain real well (10x14 flex bow). I even installed a nu-way propane stove after seeing that another member here had done it, and it was awesome. I would say that the one thing I don't like - is the floor. During hunting seasons when there aren't any bugs, I personally would rather have a wall tent with no floor so I'm not constantly tracking dirt into the tent or worrying about taking boots off, then put a tarp down inside if/where I need it. But, a wall tent is harder to rationalize in terms of space, and time to pitch / take down solo.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I've had the 10x14 flex bow in some pretty nasty weather and was very impressed with the performance. Last year in Montana we had sustained winds near 20 mph with gusts up to 60 and the thing was a tank. As long as you stake it out tight, it'll take it. Rain and snow are not a problem either. I do drop the awning when the weather gets crazy because I think that's the weak point.
I use a tank mounted space heater and it's perfect for warming the inside when you're getting up or going to bed. Makes the mornings easier for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
I have the cabin tent with the awning and it's awesome! I also bought the screen enclosure for the awning and it's nice to cook out there and have a little protection. I left it up for over a month in rain and snow and it held up like a champ. Either one would be a great option, the flex bow is a lot easier to setup from my experience.

twall13

WKR
I've had my 10x14 flexbow in some pretty good storms and it holds up really well to wind. That said, the strength lies in how well it's staked down. If you were in a place where you couldn't stake it out well it wouldn't fair nearly as well in the wind. The provided stakes are pretty stout so it's hard to imagine you couldn't make it work most places but the stakes are an integral part of the structural design on these tents.

As someone mentioned above, I too have come to prefer floorless shelters so I don't have to worry about tracking mud in but the wife likes the idea of a floor to keep bugs and critters out. Honestly the protection the floor provides is more mental than anything but I can't convince her of that and since this mostly gets used on family trips it's what I'll stick with. I will say the canvas is nice in both the heat and the cold. It prevents a lot of the condensation many tents get when it's cold and stays a lot cooler in the heat.

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I rode out a pretty good storm in my 10x14 Kodiak canvas last fall. Constant winds of 40 with gusts over 60 with no issues at all. They are built like tanks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive used mine pretty extensively through nasty storms Im confident it can hold up to a pretty decent wind. its a stout setup. Your Pegs would pull out of the ground before youd blow it down. Ive had mine in 30-40 mph gusts. I still try to setup in a place that I can stay out of the high winds though when I look for a spot to setup. Usually with trees around as a wind break.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
How would y'all compare it to say a 12 man tipi with a good stove. I wanted a tipi at one point but would hate to have to spend the time and all to cut wood and all. But it's way lighter and smaller to pack up. But Then the Kodak would be comfortable and easier with just a big buddy heater however the downfall is weight and the lack of compactness.

Whatever I get will be used truck camping for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
Depends on the tipi but whichever Kodiak you get will have vertical walls which is very nice. You can stand up anywhere unless you're overly tall.

You won't be getting far from your truck with canvas, it's bulky and heavy! And I'd recommend the Mr heater line not buddy. 15,000 BTU per head is awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
A tipi will be more compact, lighter, quicker to setup, packable. But more expensive, not as warm, not as much room. Kodiak or wall tent if only base camp, but if you want the flexibility to pack it in get the tipi.

8d4fd7bcccffc8a9b8e811a620dc47f5.jpg

188bd98bf73c1623b121c70d45ab7e5d.jpg

blackdawg

WKR
I have the VX flexbow version. I purchased it for the extra ventilation, I have a four season heated tent and I needed a tent that could handle warmer conditions. It handles the wind very nice. The weak point to me is the awning. I just will not get and stay tight. Rolling it up has been my best answer when storms roll through. I purchased a piece of cheap indoor/outdoor carpet and it really makes the tent comfortable. I also have a rubber mat for boots/shoes. For one man to pitch in a short period of time the Kodiak is hard to beat. If you would like to add a stove jack I don't think the vx edition is the best choice, but for ventilation it really works nicely.

A tipi will be more compact, lighter, quicker to setup, packable. But more expensive, not as warm, not as much room. Kodiak or wall tent if only base camp, but if you want the flexibility to pack it in get the tipi.

8d4fd7bcccffc8a9b8e811a620dc47f5.jpg

188bd98bf73c1623b121c70d45ab7e5d.jpg
what stove setup is that? it that hole sewed in?

Brendan

WKR
Old thread - but NuWay 3500. No, not sewed in. Bish's Tear Mender to glue it in.

Sold this tent after the 2017 season to another member here.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have a video on my phone of mine in some high winds in eastern montana from last year, when i get home tonight from work I will upload it on here and let you see first hand!!!

Fatcamp

WKR
I have the cabin tent with the awning and it's awesome! I also bought the screen enclosure for the awning and it's nice to cook out there and have a little protection. I left it up for over a month in rain and snow and it held up like a champ. Either one would be a great option, the flex bow is a lot easier to setup from my experience.

We have this with the walled enclosure instead of screen. It is a great tent. We have been through significant weather and after the guy lines we set it has never been a problem.

It is a massive package. Really. Once set up it is a great option, but hauling it takes a lot of space. Our recent trip to Colorado we took our Alaskan Guide 4. I used to think that was a big package. Not so much.