Whhat to do?

sfcsmart

FNG
I know this may make some of you cringe, but I'm about to buy another muzzleloader. I have an older CVA Accura in .50 and considering another Accura MRX. BPI gives a 20% military discount which is really nice. Don't really need a new gun, but I have the itch.

With my budget for rifle and glass, the MRX and Leupold VX3HD, fits perfectly. The conundrum is what caliber. I doubt I will ever get back on the mountain so I'm leaning to a .45 caliber. At my deer lesse, my farthest shoot is 265 yards. After I decide which caliber, the next hill to climb is the bullet. I picked up 2 jugs of BH209 at Scheels and thinking about a Variflame kit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would start the other way- decide what bullet and powder (or pellets) you want to shoot and see what's readily available. Personally I would go .50 cal, just more versatile and usually readily available with more options. I have shot sabots with a .44 cal bullet. You could also use the same bullets for both rifles.

Now if you just want something different and only plan on shoot deer there is nothing wrong with a .45 cal, can shoot sabots with .40 cal bullets. Less recoil and maybe "flatter" trajectory but realistically it's a muzzleloader!

Good luck

Last edited:
Your input is greatly appreciated. I am considering the Fury 402 225 st2p with a light blue harvester sabot on top of BH209.

My old accura has served me well, I just have the itch for another rifle. I guess you're right, maybe I do need to build from the bullet and work up.

Albiet shot placement has more to do with recovery than what you've sending downrange, but I was looking for a respectful choice in bullets and have seen Fury mentioned more than once.

I'm getting a little longer in the tooth now and can't tromp around looking for a blood trail. I was looking for an option that would work well in the setup that I'm trying to put together. I will gladly take any ideas or suggestions.

Sounds like you’re shooting whitetails. A .45 would be fine. Bh209 and Fury bullets are great choices. But, I don’t see any advantage to a Variflame. BH209 likes mag 209s.

You are correct. I will be hunting deer and hogs. My primary rifle is my Browning A-bolt 300WSM. I'm a pretty good shot and just want to step up and try something different. Thanks for the advice.

Back