War Vets vs. Bullies

That is an excellent story...thank you for sharing it. I greatly admire that generation and those from it that I have known.

Quite a generational contrast in comparison to today....at least in my opinion...of course said as a 71yo old man (and veteran).

Last edited:
Love hearing stories like this, thanks for sharing.

My step grandfather was a Marine that served in the Pacific during WW2. He hardly ever mentioned anything about over there besides jokingly (maybe) saying that the Philippines and Australia had some real nice women.
I asked him about the M1 Garand one time because I was thinking about purchasing one. He said he'd shot one but wasn't lucky enough to carry one, he had to be fast and light with the carbine because he was on a motar crew and had to carry heavy stuff. Said the carbine held more ammo but you definitely had to put more than one into a man 😳, then proceeded to 1000yd stare for a moment then carried on. I didn't ask anymore questions about guns he used or places he had been after that.
No telling what he actually saw.
Smoked nonfiltered Camels or Dorals and drank Jim Beam straight from the bottle all the way up until the week before he passed at 79.
Even up into his early 70's he wasn't a guy I'd wouldn't want to phuck around and find out with.

My late father-in-law served in the European Theatre in WWII- received a Silver Star for action in the Battle of the Bulge.

He would never speak about WWII- the only time he'd say anything is if we happened to watching a WWII movie and would say things like- "infantry would never be that close to a tank, they just invite fire" or some other critique on the movies truthfulness.

Anyways, he definitely fit the mold of the strong silent type :)

Thanks for a wonderful story. Great men like that are becoming far and few in between. Honesty, respect, integrity, loyalty and family are characterizations that we need to instill on our young kids if we are to be a genuine moral society.

Back