Utah DWR

On the cache population, yes, it’s bad….its the worst I have ever seen it….. Morgan South Rich, East Canyon even worse…

But it’s a sad state of affairs everywhere in N Utah, SE Idaho and W Wyoming.

That tri-state area was the epicenter for winter kill last year, and got crushed just prior. I didn’t think it could get much worse after 16/17 winter, I was wrong. Didn’t think it was possible to get worse.

Saying all of that, I think the current buck to doe ratios are right in line with what I think they are throughout the various units I have spent time in post hunt (without actually counting 😂)

There just isn’t many deer, period.

In my opinion, significant cutting of tags isn’t going to help them recover. When the population goes down, so does hunter success and so does participation.

If people want to hunt in those areas crushed by winter…..let them come and spend a week enjoying it, I don’t think it hurts anything.

There will still be a few big bucks too, just damn few of them 😂
Definitely mirrors what I saw this year in East Canyon.

Why even have a management plan? You think in the units managed for 15 to 17 bucks those hunters didn't wish they had 22-24 bucks per 100 does also?

For every tag needlessly restricted in the southern regions CHEATS the average Utah sportsmen out of a tag and contributes to point creep in general tags. Deer populations ebb and flow in both the north and south and the resource properly managed moves hunters from where herds are struggling to places herds are currently thriving. That was the entire intent moving to individual units instead of general regions.

Data supporting that high buck to doe ratios has huge impacts fawn survival rates was released during the work shop. So these what the uneducated want is actually having a negative impact when the state is focused on trying to increase deer herds.

I support people wanting to hunt older age class bucks which is exactly why Utah has limited entry units to MANAGE to those higher ratios (they even put it in the plan) where as general seasons should remain focused on providing opportunity.

Are you currently trying to draw a limited entry deer tag or are you putting in for LE elk?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
5375 more tags down south
IMG_7426.png

Last edited:

nm_nomad

FNG
I’ve never personally seen the crowded hunt people in Utah complain about. My little sister draws the rifle hunt every year in a popular unit as a youth. We have yet to run into another hunter in 3 years hunting the last 3 days of season every year. I agree another 6800 spread among the state wouldn’t be bad. I feel that with the new muzzleloader regulations it wouldn’t be hard to add that many tags as long as a few more rifle and archery tags.

I apologize. When I hear people complaining about tag numbers I assume they want to hunt the best units every year.
As a non-resident, I hunted in Southern Utah last August for general archery. 2 days scouting and 6 days hunting, and only saw one other hunter way off in the distance. Pressure/crowding was not an issue for me luckily