Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Well, glad to hear it was just loose pockets. That's an easy fix. Not that it's FP related in your case, but after those 350L loads were piercing primers, I started checking those specs when I set up a bolt. Turns out it was probably Hornady's primers in that case, I've since read they were making some of their own.primers, I guess.

Yeah, faster, or "quick" is a good description. The 300 HAM’R is the only rifle I can remember that was slipping its scope it was recoiling so fast. Had to use liquid electrical tape on the rings to stop the slipping. It's been fine since that though.

I also add a piece of flip-flop type foam for a recoil pad if needed; that helps a lot.

Taudisio

WKR
Well, glad to hear it was just loose pockets. That's an easy fix. Not that it's FP related in your case, but after those 350L loads were piercing primers, I started checking those specs when I set up a bolt. Turns out it was probably Hornady's primers in that case, I've since read they were making some of their own.primers, I guess.

Yeah, faster, or "quick" is a good description. The 300 HAM’R is the only rifle I can remember that was slipping its scope it was recoiling so fast. Had to use liquid electrical tape on the rings to stop the slipping. It's been fine since that though.

I also add a piece of flip-flop type foam for a recoil pad if needed; that helps a lot.
Did you build an UL in 350L? I remember it mentioned a few times early in the thread, but don’t recall if someone had done one. When I was piercing primers with the ARC, I measured the pin because it was a 6.5 Grendel bolt and they have a 1 and 2 version and one of them requires a shorter pin. That’s when I determined the Fiocchi primers were soft.

I have had scopes slide in a lot of springer air rifles. Liquid tape is a great idea. A flip flop pad isn’t a bad idea for high round count days, I’ll probably just be lazy and not do anything about it though.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
My first attempt at a straight-pull was with the 350L, but it didn’t end up being ultralight. That was before the Solo was an option. I used a YHM steel side-charging carrier and CMT side charging upper with a spring and a stripped buffer. It shot really well, and worked really well, but it weighed about 4.5#.

I did take a couple of bears with it, and it worked fine, but not much advantage weight wise over my Montana and definitely not range wise so I mothballed that particular idea.

I did test the 350L barrel on a Solo to check extraction and it worked fine. That did have a little kick. Reminded me of a little 20 gauge.

The recoil pad is nice on the HAM’R, but not as necessary on the 223, if at all. But it's easy enough to move the CAR stock with the pad to whatever rifle I'm shooting, if I'm using a collapsible stock setup.