Truck Topper temps

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Hot one today. Mid 80s in Iowa, topper temp was 93 when I started my drive home and it got down to 87 once air was moving at highway speed. Dogs ended up in the cab(one crated). I have fans rigged up but had the room so didn't want to risk it for a 2 hr drive.

I suspect they'd of been fine. I need to crawl back there and make the Mrs drive us down the road. With these windows and a front slider im not sure how much airflow there is.

Attachments

• 20240414_183247.jpg
    20240414_183247.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 31
Look into a gasket that seals the cab to the camper shell. Then you can open the back truck glass and camper.shell and let your ac get into the back. I found a small battery powered fan to pull air through the cab into the shell.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Look into a gasket that seals the cab to the camper shell. Then you can open the back truck glass and camper.shell and let your ac get into the back. I found a small battery powered fan to pull air through the cab into the shell.
Ya that only works if you have a slider on the truck. It's on my list. This is my setup for now.

Attachments

• 20240415_164932.jpg
    20240415_164932.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 25
It’s always hotter when it’s hot and colder when it’s cold. Mine has windows for when it’s hot. Cold they can deal with.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Curious if anyone that has a topper could assist with a experiment. It was 87 today and my internal topper temp was right around 87-88. I even removed the front glass against the cab to try and get more airflow. I'm curious with someone who has a sliding side glass that opens fully, If they can achieve a lower temp or not than outside.

Trying to decide if my topper windows are the limiting factor.

I use to run around Iowa quite a bit with a Chessie crated in a topper. I had crank windows on the side and a slider near the cab. To keep the crank windows open and the tailgate window, use a few sections of pool noodles that have slit on one side. You can slide the noodle over the window and it won't close all the way and cushions it to keep it from breaking. People would put exhaust fans out of the topper to draw air in when not driving. I use to have a cooling pad I would also put down. They make some elevated mesh cots that can go in crates also so allow air flow 306 around the dog. Also, keep fresh cold water available for them.