Clothing for cold outdoor endurance activities

I remember when I started running it was because it was cheap, I could just go outside and run without paying for a gym membership or needing special equipment. Now that I've been doing it for about 10 years I have accumulated a lot of running specific gear. I guess I'm a great junky? It's obviously still possible to do it cheaply but I'm more comfortable and can stay out longer with good gear. I also mountain bike and see a bit more crossover in clothing usable for both of those pursuits than with hunting clothing.

For a while I ran in shorts no matter the temperature, but I've found that I'm more comfortable in running tights when the temps dip below about 45. My favorites are made by Gore and have windstopper panels along the thighs.

For cooler weather I personally like Merino Wool as an upper layer as long as I'm actively moving. I vary the weight of the merino based on the conditions. For me, merino moves the moisture well and I typically come home with frost on the exterior of the garment but don't feel wet at all. Maybe it's different in other areas with a more humid climate but it works great for me. This is one place that could cross over for hunting for me but I typically keep them separate anyway and use brighter colors for visibility.

I also have a Mountain Hardwear Kor Airshell as a wind layer when needed and that's typically warm enough on most runs for me. I also have a OR Ascendant Hoody for when things get really cold or for activities like hiking. I love the active insulation, it's just more than I typically need for running. Where I live it's rare to get into the single digits and even more so for sub zero during the winters. Most of the winter I'm dealing with temps in the teens to twenties.

Most of the time when it's wet I just deal with it but if it's going to be really wet I do have a Goretex Shakedry jacket that is awesome for high exertion activities. It's light, packable, and breathes really well once you start heating up. It's not super durable but for its intended purpose I haven't found anything better. They are discontinuing it but it is still available at the moment.

I also use a light merino beanie and some Blackovis merino liner gloves to regulate temperature. Those two items come on and off more than anything else on a run and can really make a big impact on regulating temperature. If it's really cold I might add a Voormi everyday gator as a face mask. That thing is awesome because it breathes so well I can run and not feel like I'm breathing through a straw but it stays up because of the ear loops.

For me, the wind layer and the running tights with windstopper panels work really well for mountain biking in the cold as well. I dress a little warmer for biking than running when the temperature is similar. For biking I have windstopper socks and mitts as my hands and get cold fast on the bike.

Good luck on figuring out what works for you. From your original post I'd think the Kiln could be a good piece to start with, but I'd add a wind layer and some running tights with windstopper. Now is a great time to buy winter running gear as everyone typically tries to clear out inventory to make room for summer specific clothing. I know the Gorewear outlet has some stuff on sale right now and you can use code EXTRA25 for an additional 25% off to get the prices down somewhat reasonable numbers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Back