Kenai Pants

Weekender

WKR
Any reviews on them yet? Curious about fit/sizing , usefulness, warmth, etc. Any info would be great before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't have a review but here's my thoughts. Having tiburon pants the kenai along with a baselayer and rain pants I should be able to weather all but extreme cold and only need one pair of regular pants. Wouldn't need the kenai for archery but can justify them as a pillow or to sleep in.

I have experience with the insulation and love that the breathability allows me to not change layers as often.

I know lots of people say they hardly wear their insulated pants but my experience from working outside is the warmer my legs are the less I need on top lessening bulk.

On the fence about them not having a fly. Might have to make one.

Same amount of insulation as the Teton jacket or arms in the kenai (60 grams)

Last edited:
OP
W

Weekender

WKR
Don't have a review but here's my thoughts. Having tiburon pants the kenai along with a baselayer and rain pants I should be able to weather all but extreme cold and only need one pair of regular pants. Wouldn't need the kenai for archery but can justify them as a pillow or to sleep in.

I have experience with the insulation and love that the breathability allows me to not change layers as often.

I know lots of people say they hardly wear their insulated pants but my experience from working outside is the warmer my legs are the less I need on top lessening bulk.

On the fence about them not having a fly. Might have to make one.

Same amount of insulation as the Teton jacket or arms in the kenai (60 grams)

If you don't mind me asking how was the fit? I'm a solid 34 waste with a little larger thighs. Do they fit like there zip off wool which I wear a large or do they run big?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a pair (two actually, started with mediums and sold those off to get large instead). My though is as above, they are a light weight pillow normally and if/when it does get damn cold and I'm back country I can slip them on and ideally not shiver my arse off. Also they are something I can wear back at the tent if my pants got soaked during the day. They layer under my attacks fine, not sure how low of temps they'll take me down to for sitting still (moving I can go through rather cold stuff with just a baselayer and shell, as most folks can). They aren't the first piece of gear I'd buy but when rounding off a layering system I saw value in them.

Fit on the mediums was 16" across relaxed (32") and 18" stretched out (36"). I wear 33-34 size stuff usually which in reality means my waist is more like 36" when actually measured. The mediums I had to wiggle up over my hips and the elastic was fully extended. I opted to go with the larges which I can pull past my hips w/o hassle, the waist loosely fits and if needed I can choke up the velcro on the sides but in reality my outer layer holds them in place fine.

Fit in the legs is looser than the 145 merino (I have mediums in those). If you want measurements in the thigh area of the large let me know how far down from the waist you are interested in and I can measure later.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry I ment I only have the Tiburons. I did chat with pods8 when he had a post in classifieds but my pm box was cleaned out , can't remember the size info he gave but it was detailed

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
I bought a pair (two actually, started with mediums and sold those off to get large instead). My though is as above, they are a light weight pillow normally and if/when it does get damn cold and I'm back country I can slip them on and ideally not shiver my arse off. Also they are something I can wear back at the tent if my pants got soaked during the day. They layer under my attacks fine, not sure how low of temps they'll take me down to for sitting still (moving I can go through rather cold stuff with just a baselayer and shell, as most folks can). They aren't the first piece of gear I'd buy but when rounding off a layering system I saw value in them.

Fit on the mediums was 16" across relaxed (32") and 18" stretched out (36"). I wear 33-34 size stuff usually which in reality means my waist is more like 36" when actually measured. The mediums I had to wiggle up over my hips and the elastic was fully extended. I opted to go with the larges which I can pull past my hips w/o hassle, the waist loosely fits and if needed I can choke up the velcro on the sides but in reality my outer layer holds them in place fine.

Fit in the legs is looser than the 145 merino (I have mediums in those). If you want measurements in the thigh area of the large let me know how far down from the waist you are interested in and I can measure later.

Thanks ...very detailed. Sounds very similar to me I know if I tape my waste I'm - 34 5/8" Guessing a large might be the better choice. Assuming there is stretch in the materials. My plan is hopefully be able to fit under my 34 attacks or alpines I just ordered.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe I have 34 attacks (tag is gone off them), they fit fine under mind but my thighs are medium sized I'd say. I believe I read the alpines either run big or small in comparison to the attacks, I forget which though. Not sure if you new that prior to ordering.

You localish by chance to check them out?

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
I heard alpines run a little bigger but to what degree seems to be in question. So I figured I'd try them out. Location western Washington

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if they'd fit over other layers for when glassing? I wear large in the merino leggings, would the large of the Kenai fit over my hunting pants while I'm glassing or should I size up to xl?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know if they'd fit over other layers for when glassing? I wear large in the merino leggings, would the large of the Kenai fit over my hunting pants while I'm glassing or should I size up to xl?

Just tried it for ya. I wore medium leggings under 34 waist jeans then kenai size medium over the jeans. Not bad fit at all, only restrictive because of the jeans. If you are near tight in your hunting pants I'd go up a size.

Just curious why you would want to wear over?

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Just tried it for ya. I wore medium leggings under 34 waist jeans then kenai size medium over the jeans. Not bad fit at all, only restrictive because of the jeans. If you are near tight in your hunting pants I'd go up a size.

Just curious why you would want to wear over?
I would pack them for when I was sitting and glassing mostly. Rather be able to just throw them over top of my regular pants.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would pack them for when I was sitting and glassing mostly. Rather be able to just throw them over top of my regular pants.

Gotcha, they aren't the most wind resistant or durable material for outerwear but a sitting pad or chair and your fine. Rain pants over them for wind. Oh, and the calf length looks wierd wearing them on top😉
2853046025830b1f55c0022a5f290eb8.jpg

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, they aren't the most wind resistant or durable material for outerwear but a sitting pad or chair and your fine. Rain pants over them for wind. Oh, and the calf length looks wierd wearing them on top😉
Haha sure does. Thanks!

If you want a pant that will be used just for putting over your hunting pants, I like the Mountain Hardwear Compressor Pants. They are heavier than the Kenais, but they are made to go outside and have reinforced butt and knees. They have the full zips down the legs too, and are more windproof. The Kuiu pants are really best on the inside, IMO.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want a pant that will be used just for putting over your hunting pants, I like the Mountain Hardwear Compressor Pants. They are heavier than the Kenais, but they are made to go outside and have reinforced butt and knees. They have the full zips down the legs too, and are more windproof. The Kuiu pants are really best on the inside, IMO.
Good to know about the reinforcement areas. I'm looking for some dead of winter pants too. The kenai are nice for their purpose but not in the same category as those MH, kelvin, uncompahgre pants

Gotcha, they aren't the most wind resistant or durable material for outerwear but a sitting pad or chair and your fine. Rain pants over them for wind. Oh, and the calf length looks wierd wearing them on top��
kind of curious, why are they cut high? I understand why the merino zip off pants are cut high like that, but I don't understand why Kuiu didn't just make these long like the SD pants fit. It seems to me that they would be used just like a person would use the SD's. When they first came out I assumed that Kuiu was trying to appeal to the folks that would prefer a synthetic puffy pant over down. What am I missing?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
QUOTE=AK Troutbum;602308]kind of curious, why are they cut high? I understand why the merino zip off pants are cut high like that, but I don't understand why Kuiu didn't just make these long like the SD pants fit. It seems to me that they would be used just like a person would use the SD's. When they first came out I assumed that Kuiu was trying to appeal to the folks that would prefer a synthetic puffy pant over down. What am I missing?[/QUOTE].

I didn't understand it either when they came out. Not sure I do now😀. I've only worn them at work for three days with long socks pulled over the pant bottoms. With some activity I would roll the socks down to regulate temperature. ( Work is in and out side and driving, lots of variable temperatures ).
If they were regular length it would be a bit too warm for Kuiu's idea of "active insulation". Typical early sept hunting for me is still hunting from camp with little elevation change. Temperature can start around mid twenties take till noon before breaking 40, some days it pushes 80. I think the kenai will pair well with my tiburons for that scenario better than a zip off merino. Come mid to late September we are closer to tree line. With wind, hail, snow being more common I'm looking at the uncompahgre pants instead.

dockenj

FNG
Anyone that has would you be able to post a picture of them compressed? I'm wondering how small they pack down.

Thanks