Help! Broadhead flight problems

gelton

WKR
That thread that MT_Wyatt posted has me thoroughly confused. Always was under the impression that moving your rest in the directions you want your BH's to go was how to tune. ie. if your BH's hit left of FP's move rest to the right. THis guy contradicts that and says the opposite is actually true, if i'm reading correctly. What are you guys doing?

Thanks for posting that link MT_Wyatt very interesting. Mid_west, the author covers your question in the comments of the article...here is what he has to say -

…if you moved the rest out (away from the riser) to correct does this not go against what the Easton Tuning guide recommends when broadheads are hitting left of field points?…

That is correct … Easton hasn’t updated their BH tuning advice since the invention of the compound bow. Easton Broadhead Tuning advice is for finger shooters (arrow flexes in the horizontal plane, weak spine issues, etc.) and is not applicable to compound shooters with release (arrow flexes in vertical plane).

This is a good part of the reason I posted this thread, and accompanied it with pictures to show what works … to save newbies the agony of following ‘conventional’ advice and getting nowhere, with only a couple of weeks before bow season. {#emotions_dlg.mathews_peace}

mid_west

FNG
"Mid_west, the author covers your question in the comments of the article...here is what he has to say"

Yep - I saw that, again, was the first time I came across this theory, and didn't just want to take one mans word. was curious to see what others do and have found works for them.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
There are, of course, as many different reasons as there are opinions for your broadheads not matching field point points.

So here is mine for whatever it is worth.

Most people find that if there bows are tuned properly to Them.
Then broadheads will match field points.

If your "pro" shop tuned your bow without watching You shoot. Without paper-tuning Your shots. Without looking at Your bareshaft + fletched shooting groups.
Then your bow is probably not tuned to Your Body. Probably not tuned to Your shooting style.

So, first you should be looking at your tune from the bottom up.

How are bare shafts hitting with fletched field point tipped arrows at 1yd, 5yds, 10yds, 20 yds?
How is your paper tune looking?
What happens when you do a walk-back tune/test?

If the above three tests are out in the slightest way, then work to correct those first. If you find less than perfect results from the above tests, then your bow is not tuned to You and this is why your broadheads are not matching your field tip point of impact.

In my opinion broadhead tuning is a myth. If the broadheads will not match field tip point of impact, then the bow is not properly tuned for either.

Good luck! I hope you get things sorted out before your opening day!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My first rule of thumb for tuning is........just do what gets you to where you want to go. If that's opposite of what popular thinking is, then who cares........as long as it gets you to where you want to be.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks for posting that link MT_Wyatt very interesting.
Your welcome, I too have struggled with this, especially after switching shafts to FMJ's this year ironically enough.....but I spent enough time with that thread I already had it bookmarked, it's been very helpful helping me get my setup dialed. I've found when that author posts I listen.....he not only answers people's questions, he tries to give you the reasons why things occur as well.

brushape

WKR
I have the same bow and originally started shooting 400 shafts but had the same exact issues with broadheads, thinking it was a spline issue I switched to more expensive 340 shafts and while my groups shrunk from the straighter shafts the broadheads continued to shoot the same. Having no more time before season I hunted with rages broadheads which worked great and didn't look back untill I cracked a limb during a fall in some rocks and had to retune the bow anyways. During that time I tried 6 well know broadheads and spend hours tuning the arrow rest with no luck, I've gone back to rages and will shoot them untill I switch to another bow :(