Solar generators

Do any of you use a solar generator while out hunting? I am looking to get one, but I'm just starting my research.

I want one that I can use for 5-6 day hunts out in the middle of nowhere. I'd get a solar panel to help keep it charged. I don't know how well they'd work though. It would be used in my davis tent. I need to power a light, phone charger, single burner for cooking, fan, and other odds and ends. Of course, during the day while out hunting it wouldn't be powering anything. I'd hope the solar panel would charge the unit back up.

Thoughts and opinions please

How are you getting you and all of your gear to the middle of no where?

If you can add up all of your energy needs and pair your system to meet those needs plus a little more.

Solar charging can be hit or miss for optimal charging. Angles of the sun, time of year, cloud cover, other.

I solar charge a couple of battery packs on a heavily treed property. Lots of moving of panels around to catch the best light throughout the day. Best open area is the end of a dock. Between people on the end of the dock and wind, securing the panels for use can be an issue.

How is camp site security with people or critter disturbing the place?

We have gone with a Jackery system a 500 (purchased first--no solar panel) and 1000 plus to work with CPAP- lights-phones-computer-pads other small needs. Have two 100watt solar panels have not yet put them into use--got late last summer and haven't yet had a chance to use them. I certainly would not pack them in. In my area I could put the 500 into a canoe or on a toboggan but only if I really had to. I wouldn't want to do that with the 1000 but it would be possible.

Have a deep cycle 12volt 12 AMP Hours battery box with a 80watt panel we get at least two long nights of light sometimes 3--and most of our phone charging needs. It's the lightest of the set up we have. I can easily get new batteries --I'm on my third one. Pretty easy to charge with the panel--moving for best sunlight as always. Somewhat limited in used.

There are so many options out there today and cost levels that it pays to do your homework.

The batteries are super heavy. I have the big Anker, f2000 with 2 200 watt solar panels.

It works well. Somewhat picky on sun angle and any shade will really kill the charging, but it works well otherwise.

Yeah doable if you bag the 120v stuff. We run camp all September off a 120w panel and a 35AH battery. LED lights and charging is all we do. Make a long enough cable to remote the panel in the sun.IMG_2671.jpeg

Lithium batteries don't like the cold - what temps can we use solar gen in?
Good point on the cold, they usually will discharge but not charge I believe but there's some that'll just cut off completely. They make special batteries with built-in heaters as well.

As for the "solar generators" which I still think is a weird term because it's just a battery with an inverter built around it, I use a very small one for my laptop and it works fine. I just carry a regular 50w hard panel because it's small and light. I've never had this combo in super cold, maybe 40 degree nights. If temerature is a concern then you might be able to heat your tent with a buddy heater assuming your "solar generator" is inside the tent. It needs to charge in the sun while you're gone though so that could prove to be pointless unless you run the buddy before you leave and the sun keeps the temps up while you're gone.

Good point on the cold, they usually will discharge but not charge I believe but there's some that'll just cut off completely. They make special batteries with built-in heaters as well.

As for the "solar generators" which I still think is a weird term because it's just a battery with an inverter built around it, I use a very small one for my laptop and it works fine. I just carry a regular 50w hard panel because it's small and light. I've never had this combo in super cold, maybe 40 degree nights. If temerature is a concern then you might be able to heat your tent with a buddy heater assuming your "solar generator" is inside the tent. It needs to charge in the sun while you're gone though so that could prove to be pointless unless you run the buddy before you leave and the sun keeps the temps up while you're gone.
I was originally gonna post that a LiPo4 battery and inverter w a solar panel is essentially a solar generator. Recently got a 100ah LiPo4 for my boat and it is light. Can see this as being a good alternative to noisy gas genny but the battery literature talks about too hot and too cold. Can see them fixing this in the future but for now, we wait.

I've been powering my hunting cabin with one for the past three years. Pretty much year round. I own a Bluetti. I believe a comparable new model is the Bluetti AC200 Max. I run all lights, tv, outlets for charging. I paired it with four 200W panels. Things like vacuum and microwave will obviously kill it quick, but without those I'll typically get an entire weekend on no charge if conditions are not good, which is usually the case in the fall. Nice features are you can also charge it with a standard wall outlet, which we often will with the back up gas generator. Like stated above, they do not like the cold and have an automatic cut off around 32 degrees I believe. I leave my panels up all year and just grab the unit itself following hunting season, usually mid December and cart it back and forth with me through the winter months. We went from 40+ gallons of fuel in a Generac 5500 during the fall, to a couple 5 gallon cans for back up. I think its great for a similar situation. However, Unless your setting up camp near your rig, "truck camping" hauling everything deep in the bush wouldn't be feasible. For a unit my size anyway. There are downsize options which would likely fit the bill for your application though. (as long as the sun is shining)

1715185168229.jpeg

Cady, I don't know how often you visit your place but with enough frequency and having 4x200 watt panels you may consider a set of self-heating Lifepo4 batteries permanently installed with a good inverter.

Back