Hanging Steel Targets

I have a shooting range in my back yard. My son and I have tried everything. Chains, conveyor belt, steal cable, etc. Switched everything to these from Amazon about a month ago and think these are the final answer!

AR500 Steel Target Hanger... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDF6YBH5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Those look interesting and I'll have to order some for my range to try out. Do you happen to use them to hang smaller targets, like 3 inch or so? I'm wondering if the smaller targets wouldn't flip off of the shallow hooks?

I have them on gongs from 3" to 10" bullseye gongs and even on some animal gongs and so far so good. I've only tested them with .22 and 9mm so far but I will hit them with a 10mm this weekend and see.

Truck stop heavy duty mud flap for a semi.

Convor belt is more durable but not as easy to work with.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

T-posts are the only way i've used to hang my personal steel targets. Need to be able to drive them in the ground obviously but that seems easier than hanging from a rack of some sort.

Hang fast targets makes some easy/economical hanging solutions but theres a pile of different options for t-post hangers.

Iv tried all kinds of stuff and have broken pretty much everything. I have access to fire hose and agree it works well but even that only lasts so long and I got sick of dealing with broken bolts and cracked plates. Chain and regular t posts were about useless with any real use.

The below is what I have moved to for a portable target stand. Short of ar500 t posts I havnt found better. For someone shooting matches the bottom stand mimics an ar500 t post in target reaction, which is nice for learning to read impacts.

For long range public land I’m moving to the conduit stand and 1/4” steel.

I've been using a single t-post with a stainless s-hook from amazon. Hammer one end of the S-hook around the eye on the steel and drill a hole in the t-post that fits the other end of the hook.

Our range has drill stem stands. About 4 ft high and 8 ft wide. On the back are welded chain hooks for 1/2 in boomer chain. Each swinger has two holes and a long bolt through chain. Hook on crosspiece. Use two inch bolts and don’t tighten all the way so swinger angles back.
15 years and 100s of thousands of rounds. Only ever change a bolt once in a while. I don’t think some of you are using heavy enough chain.
The uprights are pounded in to the ground and crossbar welded on.

Those look interesting and I'll have to order some for my range to try out. Do you happen to use them to hang smaller targets, like 3 inch or so? I'm wondering if the smaller targets wouldn't flip off of the shallow hooks?
I had to put more bend in the ‘S’ hooks holding my Steel plates- then, no problem

I’m gonna hang a couple with old baler belts this summer. Planning to bolt to the steel and go from there.
Or I’ll just mount em in a T post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like T-posts and the slotted hooks from JC steel. I have not used any sort of rubber strips but I don't think I would like waiting for the target to settle before I could shoot again.

T post and hangers. I’ve run 3 gun matches, precision matches and pistol matches.
T posts, hangers and a slotted plate have held up better than anything.

2 T posts with a treated 2x4 across the top, then I'm hanging the gongs with some heavy gage wire or chain. The wire is nice for smaller gongs, it holds up to spall and you can replace it very quickly and cheap.

I do have some old horse stall mats and tires I've been considering cutting up to try hanging with those based on a few suggestions.

Back