Fire starting

I have the ferro rod, storm proof matches, and lighters in my pack. I normally only hunt somewhere within a mile or so of a road but it wouldnt take much to be in a bad spot and no cell reception. I was thinking I was prepared but might want to add some kind of firestarter and also practice in wet weather.

The greasy ear plug looking fire tabs work great, catch a spark easy, burn when wet andfor several minutes. Don't remember the brand.

Weber fire cubes. $5 for 24 at home depot or BBQ stores. Never let me down yet. You will need somehting to get them going obvisouly but after that they burn for 5 minutes or so. Enough to even get slightly damp wood going. Weigh next to nothing, waterproof. Don't leave anywhere with out them anymore. Hunting, in the truck, in the quad, in my hiking back. They go everywhere with me.

I carry a windproof electric lighter as a primary, a bic and a flint and steel for a backup. Pyro putty I got free with something, and two pads of 0000 steel wool in a ziplock. Steel wool ignites really easily and works well with tinder. Haven't played with the pyro putty.

Jeremy

Switching to my beanie and using my ballcap or a slab of bark has worked well to add more air when needed

IMO Duraflame fire start cubes. Nothing else compares. Big flame everytime.

I've used the Vaseline/cotton ball, self made fire kits and all the newer Blackbeard and Pyro putty products.

I am the dummy who fell in the creek. Those who live and hunt in wet/soggy environments like the PNW and rely on lighters as their firestarter are begging for trouble. I highly suggest you get a good flint and steel and practice using it in the field. The lighting strike is the best I have tested, but there are several good ones, but most suck when your hands are cold. Vaseline cotton balls are hard to beat and cheap. Where you place it in your pack is also something to consider. Accidents happen fast. All I could think about when I was trying to get that fire going was my obituary would read here lies and unprepared dumb ****.

I am the dummy who fell in the creek. Those who live and hunt in wet/soggy environments like the PNW and rely on lighters as their firestarter are begging for trouble. I highly suggest you get a good flint and steel and practice using it in the field. The lighting strike is the best I have tested, but there are several good ones, but most suck when your hands are cold. Vaseline cotton balls are hard to beat and cheap. Where you place it in your pack is also something to consider. Accidents happen fast. All I could think about when I was trying to get that fire going was my obituary would read here lies and unprepared dumb ****.
In my early 20's, I did an out of state elk hunt in Washington, just North of the Columbia. I was kind'a dumbfounded to see how all the seasoned resident elk hunters outfitted their camps and themselves. I'd never seen a hunter wear chest waders in the woods before. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Every morning I put on frozen clothes and they stayed mostly wet the entire day, for 5 days. I'm more prone to listen to advice now.

Bigfoot Bushcraft fire starting plugs.

As well, the plastic packs that have been mentioned burn good and long.

You don't carry a knife?
I always check to be sure I have some teeth attached to me just in case I'm in a life and death situation and I need to open a vacuum sealed bag and I'm too weak to tear it open due to the cold and I've lost all my knives and there are no sharp sticks or rocks or antlers or pointy bullets around.

Fire starting in all weather under all circumstances is a skill that requires systematic forethought and practice.

Day trips to SERIOUS expedition hunts and everything in between. This basic skill can and will save your life.

I always check to be sure I have some teeth attached to me just in case I'm in a life and death situation and I need to open a vacuum sealed bag and I'm too weak to tear it open due to the cold and I've lost all my knives and there are no sharp sticks or rocks or antlers or pointy bullets around.
That's a bad day.

Back